FW: Withheld State Matching Funds Result in Hiring Freeze

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Mon, Nov 21, 2016 1:35 PM

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 5:30 PM
Subject: Withheld State Matching Funds Result in Hiring Freeze

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

November 18, 2016

WITHHELD STATE MATCHING FUNDS RESULT IN HIRING FREEZE

Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University College of Agriculture, Environmental and and Human Sciences (CAEHS) Dean Albert E. Essel announced today that only seven months salary remains if the state does not fulfill its matching obligation to the university. Dean Essel informed the College and Cooperative Extension and Research personnel throughout the state of a hiring freeze earlier this month. Today, in an effort of  maintaining complete transparency in this process, Essel announced the continued withholding brings the possibility of layoffs early next spring. Due to the fact that Missouri's current governor is not releasing the promised $1 million match to USDA federal funds as approved in the House and Senate this past spring, this will create a $2 million deficit.

"Without the matching funds we were promised, we are in a critical deficit mode. My primary goal is to cover payroll," Essel explained.
With the situation looming ahead of possible layoffs, the university administration remains hopeful Governor Nixon will release the matching funds before his term expires, and before the situation becomes any more severe.
Lincoln University is an 1890 land-grant university. These institutions receive federal funding contigent upon a dollar-for-dollar state match. The current federal fiscal year ends September 30, 2017.

Misty Young
Director, Office of University Relations
573-681-6032
www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu/
[cid:image001.jpg@01D241B8.DF26DE20]

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu] Sent: Friday, November 18, 2016 5:30 PM Subject: Withheld State Matching Funds Result in Hiring Freeze FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT MISTY YOUNG (573) 681-6032 November 18, 2016 WITHHELD STATE MATCHING FUNDS RESULT IN HIRING FREEZE Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University College of Agriculture, Environmental and and Human Sciences (CAEHS) Dean Albert E. Essel announced today that only seven months salary remains if the state does not fulfill its matching obligation to the university. Dean Essel informed the College and Cooperative Extension and Research personnel throughout the state of a hiring freeze earlier this month. Today, in an effort of maintaining complete transparency in this process, Essel announced the continued withholding brings the possibility of layoffs early next spring. Due to the fact that Missouri's current governor is not releasing the promised $1 million match to USDA federal funds as approved in the House and Senate this past spring, this will create a $2 million deficit. "Without the matching funds we were promised, we are in a critical deficit mode. My primary goal is to cover payroll," Essel explained. With the situation looming ahead of possible layoffs, the university administration remains hopeful Governor Nixon will release the matching funds before his term expires, and before the situation becomes any more severe. Lincoln University is an 1890 land-grant university. These institutions receive federal funding contigent upon a dollar-for-dollar state match. The current federal fiscal year ends September 30, 2017. ### Misty Young Director, Office of University Relations 573-681-6032 www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu/> [cid:image001.jpg@01D241B8.DF26DE20]