FW: Mr. Voohees College Crowned Mr. HBCU: Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Conference Announced

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Thu, Feb 13, 2014 2:02 PM

From: Offord, Jerome [mailto:OffordJ@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:21 AM
To: Sandra Phoenix
Subject: Fwd: Mr. Voohees College Crowned Mr. HBCU: Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Conference Announced

-------- Original message --------
From: "Young, Misty" <YoungM@lincolnu.edumailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu>
Date: 02/10/2014 11:04 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Facultystaff <facultystaff@lincolnu.edumailto:facultystaff@lincolnu.edu>,AllStudents <AllStudents@my.lincolnu.edumailto:AllStudents@my.lincolnu.edu>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

February 10, 2014

MR. VOORHEES COLLEGE CROWNED MR. HBCU
Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition Announced

Jefferson City, MO- Anthony Hyland, Mr. Voorhees College, has been crowned Mr. HBCU 2014-2015.  Hyland was one of 15 kings representing the nation's 105 Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) in the 10th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition at Lincoln University.  As part of the event, the men spent several days in Jefferson City and on the Lincoln University campus engaged in activities and projects aimed at molding their leadership skills.  The culmination of the week was the competition and ball, held Saturday, February 8.

Lincoln University President Dr. Kevin D. Rome, Sr. says the conference and competition paint a realistic picture of the student leaders on the HBCU campuses around the country.  "We see young men who are thinking about their futures and that of those around them," says Rome.  "The campus kings set a higher personal standard and expect that same standard to be met by those around them."

Rome says the impact of the conference and competition makes it a necessity to continue into the future.  "Those early signs of leadership are very important to the future of the African American male, which is why it has been such an honor to host the Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition on the campus of Lincoln University and I look forward to continuing that into the future."

The annual event was founded in 2004 by then Director of Alumni Affairs at Lincoln University, Mrs. Benecia Spencer Williams.  "We are grateful to Mrs. Williams for being cognizant of what was needed in the HBCU community and her role in opening the doors of Lincoln University to meet that need.  As she moves into retirement, we will continue her vision and continue to offer a quality event that will provide the tools these young men need to succeed as they evolve from campus kings to leaders in society."

The 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition will be held February 5 through 8, 2015.

Misty Young
Director, Office of University Relations
573-681-5580
www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu/

From: Offord, Jerome [mailto:OffordJ@lincolnu.edu] Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:21 AM To: Sandra Phoenix Subject: Fwd: Mr. Voohees College Crowned Mr. HBCU: Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Conference Announced -------- Original message -------- From: "Young, Misty" <YoungM@lincolnu.edu<mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu>> Date: 02/10/2014 11:04 AM (GMT-06:00) To: Facultystaff <facultystaff@lincolnu.edu<mailto:facultystaff@lincolnu.edu>>,AllStudents <AllStudents@my.lincolnu.edu<mailto:AllStudents@my.lincolnu.edu>> Subject: Mr. Voohees College Crowned Mr. HBCU: Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Conference Announced FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT MISTY YOUNG (573) 681-6032 February 10, 2014 MR. VOORHEES COLLEGE CROWNED MR. HBCU Date for 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition Announced Jefferson City, MO- Anthony Hyland, Mr. Voorhees College, has been crowned Mr. HBCU 2014-2015. Hyland was one of 15 kings representing the nation's 105 Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) in the 10th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition at Lincoln University. As part of the event, the men spent several days in Jefferson City and on the Lincoln University campus engaged in activities and projects aimed at molding their leadership skills. The culmination of the week was the competition and ball, held Saturday, February 8. Lincoln University President Dr. Kevin D. Rome, Sr. says the conference and competition paint a realistic picture of the student leaders on the HBCU campuses around the country. "We see young men who are thinking about their futures and that of those around them," says Rome. "The campus kings set a higher personal standard and expect that same standard to be met by those around them." Rome says the impact of the conference and competition makes it a necessity to continue into the future. "Those early signs of leadership are very important to the future of the African American male, which is why it has been such an honor to host the Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition on the campus of Lincoln University and I look forward to continuing that into the future." The annual event was founded in 2004 by then Director of Alumni Affairs at Lincoln University, Mrs. Benecia Spencer Williams. "We are grateful to Mrs. Williams for being cognizant of what was needed in the HBCU community and her role in opening the doors of Lincoln University to meet that need. As she moves into retirement, we will continue her vision and continue to offer a quality event that will provide the tools these young men need to succeed as they evolve from campus kings to leaders in society." The 11th Annual Mr. HBCU Kings' Leadership Conference and Competition will be held February 5 through 8, 2015. ### Misty Young Director, Office of University Relations 573-681-5580 www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu/>