FW: Lincoln University Receives $4.4 Million Grant

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Fri, Oct 9, 2015 11:35 AM

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:38 PM
Subject: Lincoln University Receives $4.4 Million Grant

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

October 8, 2015

LINCOLN UNIVERSITY RECEIVES $4.4 MILLION GRANT

Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University has received word from the Department of Education of an award of the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA) grant for five years.  The total grant amount is $4.4 million.

Funded through the U.S. Department of Education, the SAFRA grant is part of the Title III program, which assists Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in either establishing or strengthening their physical plants, financial management, academic resources, and endowment-building capacity.

"This award provides Lincoln with critical services needed to provide a strong program of academic support for our students aimed at improving their retention and graduation rates while preparing them to successfully enter into the field of their choice as well educated members of the workforce," Dr. Dona McKinney, Director of the Office of Sponsored Research.

"We are excited that we were awarded the SAFRA grant because it will allow us an opportunity to develop new and innovative programs to assist our students in becoming more career-ready upon graduation," said Said Sewell, Ph. D., Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and PI on the grant.  "In addition to thanking Dr. McKinney for assisting me writing this proposal, we are grateful for our congressional delegation, Senators Blunt and McCaskill, as well Representative Luetkemeyer, for their continued support of our students and university," says Sewell.

SAFRA activities may include student services, educational equipment acquisition, facility renovation and construction, and faculty and staff development. Lincoln University will use the grant in support of activities focused on providing student based services designed to improve academic success, persistence and graduate rates to include:
Student Academic Success Center- Will provide peer tutors to work with students who are struggling academically.

Minority Male Teacher Preparation Program - A program designed to increase the number of males of color to consider entering the field of education.

Entrepreneurial Marketing/Design Center - Students will learn best practices and latest skill sets by working with local clients on real world projects. Classes are designed to give the students a real world application of the theories and concepts from both business and journalism.

Graduate Assistantships Program - This will establish 15 graduate assistantship opportunities which will provide support and experience for students enrolled in Lincoln University graduate programs.

Study Abroad - This program is a partnership between Lincoln University and the U.S. State Department to attract outstanding young people to pursue careers in the state department, while also preparing them for roles in the global economy.

Honors College - For academic scholars and target populations that will are academically high achieving.

Living Learning Communities - Develop learning communities for academic scholars and target populations that will actively support an academic environment rich in learning.

Freshman Institute-Develop an eight-week summer bridge program for 25 first-time freshmen students who show great promise in education, science, math, engineering, technology, or nursing.

Broadcast Journalism for Underrepresented Individuals - Designed to meet an increasing need for underrepresented individuals in the field of journalism.

For more information on Lincoln University, visit www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu

ABOUT LINCOLN UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI: Lincoln University, located in Jefferson City, Missouri, was founded in 1866 by the enlisted men and officers of the 62nd and 65th Colored Infantries, following the close of the Civil War.  It is the only institution of higher learning founded by veterans, the only 1890 Land-grant institution in the state of Missouri, and is the nation's oldest 1890 Land-grant university.

Through the years, the university has been written into many success stories of its alumni, which include: Civil rights leader Lloyd Gaines'35; noted educator and first alumnus to serve as President of Lincoln University (retired) Dr. James Frank'53; Founder of Gates Bar-B-Q Ollie Gates'54;  business woman and philanthropist Ann Walton Kroenke'72; U.S. Congressman (Missouri) Blaine Luetkemeyer'74; entrepreneur Valerie Daniels-Carter '78; NFL professional and eight-time Pro-bowl selection Lemar Parrish '96; and Olympic medalist (track) Lorraine Graham-Fenton'99

Misty Young
Director, Office of University Relations
573-681-6032
www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu/
[150signature]

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu] Sent: Thursday, October 8, 2015 4:38 PM Subject: Lincoln University Receives $4.4 Million Grant FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT MISTY YOUNG (573) 681-6032 October 8, 2015 LINCOLN UNIVERSITY RECEIVES $4.4 MILLION GRANT Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University has received word from the Department of Education of an award of the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA) grant for five years. The total grant amount is $4.4 million. Funded through the U.S. Department of Education, the SAFRA grant is part of the Title III program, which assists Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in either establishing or strengthening their physical plants, financial management, academic resources, and endowment-building capacity. "This award provides Lincoln with critical services needed to provide a strong program of academic support for our students aimed at improving their retention and graduation rates while preparing them to successfully enter into the field of their choice as well educated members of the workforce," Dr. Dona McKinney, Director of the Office of Sponsored Research. "We are excited that we were awarded the SAFRA grant because it will allow us an opportunity to develop new and innovative programs to assist our students in becoming more career-ready upon graduation," said Said Sewell, Ph. D., Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and PI on the grant. "In addition to thanking Dr. McKinney for assisting me writing this proposal, we are grateful for our congressional delegation, Senators Blunt and McCaskill, as well Representative Luetkemeyer, for their continued support of our students and university," says Sewell. SAFRA activities may include student services, educational equipment acquisition, facility renovation and construction, and faculty and staff development. Lincoln University will use the grant in support of activities focused on providing student based services designed to improve academic success, persistence and graduate rates to include: Student Academic Success Center- Will provide peer tutors to work with students who are struggling academically. Minority Male Teacher Preparation Program - A program designed to increase the number of males of color to consider entering the field of education. Entrepreneurial Marketing/Design Center - Students will learn best practices and latest skill sets by working with local clients on real world projects. Classes are designed to give the students a real world application of the theories and concepts from both business and journalism. Graduate Assistantships Program - This will establish 15 graduate assistantship opportunities which will provide support and experience for students enrolled in Lincoln University graduate programs. Study Abroad - This program is a partnership between Lincoln University and the U.S. State Department to attract outstanding young people to pursue careers in the state department, while also preparing them for roles in the global economy. Honors College - For academic scholars and target populations that will are academically high achieving. Living Learning Communities - Develop learning communities for academic scholars and target populations that will actively support an academic environment rich in learning. Freshman Institute-Develop an eight-week summer bridge program for 25 first-time freshmen students who show great promise in education, science, math, engineering, technology, or nursing. Broadcast Journalism for Underrepresented Individuals - Designed to meet an increasing need for underrepresented individuals in the field of journalism. For more information on Lincoln University, visit www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu> ### ABOUT LINCOLN UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI: Lincoln University, located in Jefferson City, Missouri, was founded in 1866 by the enlisted men and officers of the 62nd and 65th Colored Infantries, following the close of the Civil War. It is the only institution of higher learning founded by veterans, the only 1890 Land-grant institution in the state of Missouri, and is the nation's oldest 1890 Land-grant university. Through the years, the university has been written into many success stories of its alumni, which include: Civil rights leader Lloyd Gaines'35; noted educator and first alumnus to serve as President of Lincoln University (retired) Dr. James Frank'53; Founder of Gates Bar-B-Q Ollie Gates'54; business woman and philanthropist Ann Walton Kroenke'72; U.S. Congressman (Missouri) Blaine Luetkemeyer'74; entrepreneur Valerie Daniels-Carter '78; NFL professional and eight-time Pro-bowl selection Lemar Parrish '96; and Olympic medalist (track) Lorraine Graham-Fenton'99 Misty Young Director, Office of University Relations 573-681-6032 www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu/> [150signature]