FW: PROMOTE YOUR COLLECTIONS; PROMOTE OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORIES

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Fri, Aug 25, 2017 11:51 AM

From: Katherine Skinner [mailto:katherine@educopia.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:18 AM
To: team@educopia.orgmailto:team@educopia.org; LPC-L; bitcurator .; metaarchive@metaarchive.orgmailto:metaarchive@metaarchive.org; etdplus_steering@educopia.orgmailto:etdplus_steering@educopia.org; etdplus_advisory@educopia.orgmailto:etdplus_advisory@educopia.org; ossarcflow@educopia.orgmailto:ossarcflow@educopia.org; lpcurriculum-advisory-board@educopia.orgmailto:lpcurriculum-advisory-board@educopia.org; DTMH-Leadership@googlegroups.commailto:DTMH-Leadership@googlegroups.com; Private LOCKSS Networks (private_lockss_networks@lists.stanford.edumailto:private_lockss_networks@lists.stanford.edu)
Subject: PROMOTE YOUR COLLECTIONS; PROMOTE OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORIES

Hi Friends and Educopia Affiliated Community Members and Project teams,

Hopefully, today you'll encounter the message below in listservs across the library, archives, and museums space. I'm sharing it here as a more personal plea to all of your institutions to participate in a project that Educopia has undertaken in partnership with DPLA. We need all hands on deck! :)

Ultimately, this project is aimed to improve the visibility of African American and LGBT newspapers and periodicals. It will increase our knowledge, fieldwide, of African American newspapers and periodicals and LGBT newspapers and periodicals--where they are, what formats and conditions they are in, and how they are currently accessible.

Thank you--so much--in advance--for any help you can provide in spreading the word, especially within your institutions and social networks!

Here's the announcement. Please forward far and wide as you wish, in addition to involving your own library/archive/musuem! And thank you, so very, very much!

Social media suggestions:
PROMOTE YOUR COLLECTIONS, PROMOTE OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORIES: help @educopia @dpla build AfAm and LGBT directories https://educopia.org/research/margins

SURFACING MARGINALIZED VOICES IN A CRITICAL MOMENT: Help @educopia @dpla build directories of AfAm and LGBT news https://educopia.org/research/margins

EMAIL SUBJECT LINE:
PROMOTE YOUR COLLECTIONS; PROMOTE OUR COLLECTIVE HISTORIES: Building Directories for African American Newspapers and LGBT Newspapers

We know that our choices as archivists, librarians, and curators matter. The historical record is largely shaped by what we gather, what we provide access to, and whose voices we preserve.

In this moment, we want to ignite the power and passion of libraries, archives, and museums to amplify voices that have too often gone unheard in this country.

Together with you all, we seek to create two new, open resources:

  • AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF AFRICAN AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
  • AN OPEN DIRECTORY OF LGBT NEWSPAPERS AND PERIODICALS
    Participation is easy.

Educopia Institute, in partnership with DPLA, has created two surveys to capture information about your holdings in these two areas.

We need libraries, archives, and museums of ALL sizes and types to contribute simple metadata about your holdings using these survey instruments.

The content you hold matters--whether it is a single page or full runs, and whether it is print, microfiche, or digital. It needs to be represented.

We know this is a big project. We also know the perfect is the enemy of the good. We’re not looking for perfection, just for participation.

Please join us!

Survey instrument for African American newspapers and periodicals: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_AFAM

Survey instrument for LGBT newspapers and periodicals: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewsOnTheMargins_LGBT

SURVEYS CLOSE SEPTEMBER 30, 2017.

For more information about the project, please contact Katherine Skinner using the contact information below.

Katherine Skinner, PhD
Executive Director, Educopia Institute
http://educopia.orghttp://educopia.org/

Working from Greensboro, NC