Updates

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 4:05 PM

Greetings Colleagues,
I trust you're well and in good spirits. A few updates are detailed below.
OCLC Distinguished Seminar Speaker

Lorcan Dempsey, OCLC's Vice President, Membership and Research, and Chief Strategist approached me last year to present at an OCLC Distinguished Seminar Series. I'm excited to be scheduled on Wednesday, May 11, 11:00 ET to present the topic "Strategies to Preserve the Past and Shape our Collective Future: The HBCU Library Alliance - A Sankofa Experience."

Abstract: The HBCU Library Alliance, a voice of advocacy and body of knowledge for libraries in Historically Black Colleges and Universities, works to develop library leaders, preserve collections and plan for the future.  Sandra Phoenix, Executive Director, describes the organization's Sankofa experience in remembering and embracing the past to make positive progress in the future. Learn about collections, HBCU Library Alliance programs, and how together we can envision a future to strive toward.

I'll share registration information as it becomes available and will connect as needed to develop the presentation.
HBCU Library Alliance Board Meeting
The first Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 28, 11:00 ET. I look forward to the energy, insight, and wisdom of the new Board of Directors:
Dr. Kimberley Bugg, Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library (GA)
Dr. Tiwanna Nevels, St. Augustine's University (NC)
Jon Peede, Mississippi Valley State University Visiting Professor
Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA)
Dr. Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS)
Adrienne Webber, Grambling State University (LA)

There is much work ahead to sustain the HBCU Library Alliance.
Accelerating Financial Change - Sustaining the HBCU Library Alliance
The $1M, five-year Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Change Capital grant is designed to implement a new infrastructure model to support existing programs while nurturing new programs. This award is in collaboration with the three-year Mellon-funded Non-Profit Finance Fund's (NFF) Building Financial Resilience project. Primary Change Capital investments include: 1) a full-time Executive Assistant position 2) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Development Officer; 3) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Program Manager to support outreach and educational activities; 4) three years of targeted Grant Writer assistance to assist the Development Officer in applying for foundation and government funding and to raise $225,000 in matching funds to complete the "Building Capacity-HBCU" project, partially funded through a five-year Infrastructure and Capacity Building Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities; 5) one year of Marketing consulting to develop strategies for earned income and membership growth through corporate and academic partnerships; 6) engagement with a Communications/Web Design Company to develop recommendations for upgrading the Alliance's branding through careful review of the needs of its audiences, and; 7) the establishment of a first-time Reserve Fund.
Thanks to Human Resources Consultant Amy Williams for her expertise and committee members Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) and Consuella Askew, Rutgers University (NJ) for their support and participation. The full-time Executive Assistant position will post early next week. Thanks to Sam Johnson who is providing part-time administrative support. Job descriptions for the Grant Writer and Development Officer are underway.
Interim Board Chair Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA) and I were interviewed for a blogpost by the NFF team on March 29th. The interview highlighted the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF on the Mellon grant. The blogpost will be shared when it becomes available. We also agreed to a face-to-face interview highlighting the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF.  Details are forthcoming.
The HBCU Library Alliance $130,000.00 reserve fund account has been established at Truist Bank.
HBCU Library Alliance/CLIR Partnership
CLIR Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning

In November 2020, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation awarded a $75,000 17-month planning grant to CLIR for the project "Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning." Thirty-two institutions participated in this project to identify common barriers and shared visions for creating access to historic collections held by libraries at HBCUs. Thanks to Focus Group Facilitator Dr. Sharon Freeman, Mississippi Valley State University, and Interviewers Dr. Synatra Smith and Dr. Portia Hopkins for their skill and expertise. A public report and Board report will be available in mid-April. We are hopeful that this project lays the foundation for a large-scale digitization project.
Season 3: Material Memory - The HBCU Library Alliance Tour
Season 3 of the Material Memory Podcast, the HBCU Library Alliance Tour, highlights the following six individuals/institutions:
Dana Chandler, Tuskegee University (AL)
DeLisa Minor Harris, Fisk University (TN)
Ida Jones, Morgan State University (MD)
Wanda Scott Kinney, Benedict College (SC)
Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS)
Erika Witt, Southern University New Orleans (LA)
I had the pleasure of speaking with each participant about the podcast, thanking them for their participation and encouraging them to subscribe to the podcast and share. Another HBCU Library Alliance podcast season is a possibility; however, there must be a broad social media presence from our community and beyond.
The attached "Buckle Up" email contains information on the podcast series and the Battle for the Books competition.
HBCU Library Alliance/Brown University Pilot Leadership Project
Funded by the ILMS Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, the Stronger Together, Excellence in Library Leadership Program is the first leadership program to intentionally unite emerging library leaders from two distinct communities of practice, HBCUs and Brown University. The curriculum and immersive exchanges of this intensive, nurturing program will develop core leadership competencies: Courage to Lead and Change Management; Fundraising and Advocacy; Changing Technology; Social Justice; Disaster, Emergency, and Recovery; Mental Wellness and Emotional Intelligence; and Collection Stewardship.
The Institute will be hosted this summer at Fisk University (TN) on Wednesday through Friday, June 15-17.  Thanks to DeLisa Minor Harris for welcoming the Institute to Fisk.
Follow this link https://library.brown.edu/create/stronger-together-leadership-program/ for more information and the application. A draft program outline is attached to this e-mail. Complete your submission no later than April 22, 2022.
HBCU Library Alliance/University of Delaware Summer Conservation/Preservation Project
The HBCU Library Alliance Conservation/Preservation Internship Program, since 2018, has successfully impacted the undergraduate educational experience! To date, twenty-eight interns have completed the internship program. Several interns are pursuing a career interest in librarianship or library-related positions. Ten applicants will be selected for the summer 2022 virtual internship later this month.
The internship dates are Monday, June 6 through Friday, July 15. Cohort Zoom sessions will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 am - 12:00 pm. Melissa Tedone, Project PI at the Winterthur Garden, Museum and Library (DE) recently informed me that Dr. Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress, will speak to the group at 10:30 on June 21st.
Contact me directly if you have questions.  Stay tuned!
Sandra

Sandra M. Phoenix, Executive Director
HBCU Library Alliance
678-210-5801 (office)
404-702-5854 (cell)
http://www.hbculibraries.orghttp://www.hbculibraries.org/
sphoenix@hbculibraries.orgmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org
Seek justice, honor the ancestors, honor the children and those yet to come.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter at https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance

Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/

Greetings Colleagues, I trust you're well and in good spirits. A few updates are detailed below. OCLC Distinguished Seminar Speaker Lorcan Dempsey, OCLC's Vice President, Membership and Research, and Chief Strategist approached me last year to present at an OCLC Distinguished Seminar Series. I'm excited to be scheduled on Wednesday, May 11, 11:00 ET to present the topic "Strategies to Preserve the Past and Shape our Collective Future: The HBCU Library Alliance - A Sankofa Experience." Abstract: The HBCU Library Alliance, a voice of advocacy and body of knowledge for libraries in Historically Black Colleges and Universities, works to develop library leaders, preserve collections and plan for the future. Sandra Phoenix, Executive Director, describes the organization's Sankofa experience in remembering and embracing the past to make positive progress in the future. Learn about collections, HBCU Library Alliance programs, and how together we can envision a future to strive toward. I'll share registration information as it becomes available and will connect as needed to develop the presentation. HBCU Library Alliance Board Meeting The first Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 28, 11:00 ET. I look forward to the energy, insight, and wisdom of the new Board of Directors: Dr. Kimberley Bugg, Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library (GA) Dr. Tiwanna Nevels, St. Augustine's University (NC) Jon Peede, Mississippi Valley State University Visiting Professor Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA) Dr. Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) Adrienne Webber, Grambling State University (LA) There is much work ahead to sustain the HBCU Library Alliance. Accelerating Financial Change - Sustaining the HBCU Library Alliance The $1M, five-year Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Change Capital grant is designed to implement a new infrastructure model to support existing programs while nurturing new programs. This award is in collaboration with the three-year Mellon-funded Non-Profit Finance Fund's (NFF) Building Financial Resilience project. Primary Change Capital investments include: 1) a full-time Executive Assistant position 2) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Development Officer; 3) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Program Manager to support outreach and educational activities; 4) three years of targeted Grant Writer assistance to assist the Development Officer in applying for foundation and government funding and to raise $225,000 in matching funds to complete the "Building Capacity-HBCU" project, partially funded through a five-year Infrastructure and Capacity Building Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities; 5) one year of Marketing consulting to develop strategies for earned income and membership growth through corporate and academic partnerships; 6) engagement with a Communications/Web Design Company to develop recommendations for upgrading the Alliance's branding through careful review of the needs of its audiences, and; 7) the establishment of a first-time Reserve Fund. Thanks to Human Resources Consultant Amy Williams for her expertise and committee members Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) and Consuella Askew, Rutgers University (NJ) for their support and participation. The full-time Executive Assistant position will post early next week. Thanks to Sam Johnson who is providing part-time administrative support. Job descriptions for the Grant Writer and Development Officer are underway. Interim Board Chair Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA) and I were interviewed for a blogpost by the NFF team on March 29th. The interview highlighted the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF on the Mellon grant. The blogpost will be shared when it becomes available. We also agreed to a face-to-face interview highlighting the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF. Details are forthcoming. The HBCU Library Alliance $130,000.00 reserve fund account has been established at Truist Bank. HBCU Library Alliance/CLIR Partnership CLIR Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning In November 2020, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation awarded a $75,000 17-month planning grant to CLIR for the project "Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning." Thirty-two institutions participated in this project to identify common barriers and shared visions for creating access to historic collections held by libraries at HBCUs. Thanks to Focus Group Facilitator Dr. Sharon Freeman, Mississippi Valley State University, and Interviewers Dr. Synatra Smith and Dr. Portia Hopkins for their skill and expertise. A public report and Board report will be available in mid-April. We are hopeful that this project lays the foundation for a large-scale digitization project. Season 3: Material Memory - The HBCU Library Alliance Tour Season 3 of the Material Memory Podcast, the HBCU Library Alliance Tour, highlights the following six individuals/institutions: Dana Chandler, Tuskegee University (AL) DeLisa Minor Harris, Fisk University (TN) Ida Jones, Morgan State University (MD) Wanda Scott Kinney, Benedict College (SC) Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) Erika Witt, Southern University New Orleans (LA) I had the pleasure of speaking with each participant about the podcast, thanking them for their participation and encouraging them to subscribe to the podcast and share. Another HBCU Library Alliance podcast season is a possibility; however, there must be a broad social media presence from our community and beyond. The attached "Buckle Up" email contains information on the podcast series and the Battle for the Books competition. HBCU Library Alliance/Brown University Pilot Leadership Project Funded by the ILMS Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, the Stronger Together, Excellence in Library Leadership Program is the first leadership program to intentionally unite emerging library leaders from two distinct communities of practice, HBCUs and Brown University. The curriculum and immersive exchanges of this intensive, nurturing program will develop core leadership competencies: Courage to Lead and Change Management; Fundraising and Advocacy; Changing Technology; Social Justice; Disaster, Emergency, and Recovery; Mental Wellness and Emotional Intelligence; and Collection Stewardship. The Institute will be hosted this summer at Fisk University (TN) on Wednesday through Friday, June 15-17. Thanks to DeLisa Minor Harris for welcoming the Institute to Fisk. Follow this link https://library.brown.edu/create/stronger-together-leadership-program/ for more information and the application. A draft program outline is attached to this e-mail. Complete your submission no later than April 22, 2022. HBCU Library Alliance/University of Delaware Summer Conservation/Preservation Project The HBCU Library Alliance Conservation/Preservation Internship Program, since 2018, has successfully impacted the undergraduate educational experience! To date, twenty-eight interns have completed the internship program. Several interns are pursuing a career interest in librarianship or library-related positions. Ten applicants will be selected for the summer 2022 virtual internship later this month. The internship dates are Monday, June 6 through Friday, July 15. Cohort Zoom sessions will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 am - 12:00 pm. Melissa Tedone, Project PI at the Winterthur Garden, Museum and Library (DE) recently informed me that Dr. Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress, will speak to the group at 10:30 on June 21st. Contact me directly if you have questions. Stay tuned! Sandra Sandra M. Phoenix, Executive Director HBCU Library Alliance 678-210-5801 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org<http://www.hbculibraries.org/> sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org> Seek justice, honor the ancestors, honor the children and those yet to come. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter at https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/
LP
Loretta Parham
Thu, Apr 7, 2022 4:29 PM

Thank you Sandra for this update.

Loretta Parham, CEO & Director
Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library

www.auctr.edu

We will always provide service that exceeds the customer's expectation...Because We Care!

Thank you Sandra for this update. Loretta Parham, CEO & Director Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library www.auctr.edu We will always provide service that exceeds the customer's expectation...Because We Care! From: Sandra Phoenix [mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org] Sent: Thursday, April 7, 2022 12:05 PM To: hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org Cc: hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org Subject: Updates Greetings Colleagues, I trust you're well and in good spirits. A few updates are detailed below. OCLC Distinguished Seminar Speaker Lorcan Dempsey, OCLC's Vice President, Membership and Research, and Chief Strategist approached me last year to present at an OCLC Distinguished Seminar Series. I'm excited to be scheduled on Wednesday, May 11, 11:00 ET to present the topic "Strategies to Preserve the Past and Shape our Collective Future: The HBCU Library Alliance - A Sankofa Experience." Abstract: The HBCU Library Alliance, a voice of advocacy and body of knowledge for libraries in Historically Black Colleges and Universities, works to develop library leaders, preserve collections and plan for the future. Sandra Phoenix, Executive Director, describes the organization's Sankofa experience in remembering and embracing the past to make positive progress in the future. Learn about collections, HBCU Library Alliance programs, and how together we can envision a future to strive toward. I'll share registration information as it becomes available and will connect as needed to develop the presentation. HBCU Library Alliance Board Meeting The first Board of Directors meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 28, 11:00 ET. I look forward to the energy, insight, and wisdom of the new Board of Directors: Dr. Kimberley Bugg, Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library (GA) Dr. Tiwanna Nevels, St. Augustine's University (NC) Jon Peede, Mississippi Valley State University Visiting Professor Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA) Dr. Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) Adrienne Webber, Grambling State University (LA) There is much work ahead to sustain the HBCU Library Alliance. Accelerating Financial Change - Sustaining the HBCU Library Alliance The $1M, five-year Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Change Capital grant is designed to implement a new infrastructure model to support existing programs while nurturing new programs. This award is in collaboration with the three-year Mellon-funded Non-Profit Finance Fund's (NFF) Building Financial Resilience project. Primary Change Capital investments include: 1) a full-time Executive Assistant position 2) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Development Officer; 3) the addition of a new permanent full-time staff position of Program Manager to support outreach and educational activities; 4) three years of targeted Grant Writer assistance to assist the Development Officer in applying for foundation and government funding and to raise $225,000 in matching funds to complete the "Building Capacity-HBCU" project, partially funded through a five-year Infrastructure and Capacity Building Challenge Grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities; 5) one year of Marketing consulting to develop strategies for earned income and membership growth through corporate and academic partnerships; 6) engagement with a Communications/Web Design Company to develop recommendations for upgrading the Alliance's branding through careful review of the needs of its audiences, and; 7) the establishment of a first-time Reserve Fund. Thanks to Human Resources Consultant Amy Williams for her expertise and committee members Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) and Consuella Askew, Rutgers University (NJ) for their support and participation. The full-time Executive Assistant position will post early next week. Thanks to Sam Johnson who is providing part-time administrative support. Job descriptions for the Grant Writer and Development Officer are underway. Interim Board Chair Tina Rollins, Hampton University (VA) and I were interviewed for a blogpost by the NFF team on March 29th. The interview highlighted the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF on the Mellon grant. The blogpost will be shared when it becomes available. We also agreed to a face-to-face interview highlighting the HBCU Library Alliance and our work with NFF. Details are forthcoming. The HBCU Library Alliance $130,000.00 reserve fund account has been established at Truist Bank. HBCU Library Alliance/CLIR Partnership CLIR Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning In November 2020, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation awarded a $75,000 17-month planning grant to CLIR for the project "Creating Access to HBCU Library Alliance Archives: Needs, Capacity, and Technical Planning." Thirty-two institutions participated in this project to identify common barriers and shared visions for creating access to historic collections held by libraries at HBCUs. Thanks to Focus Group Facilitator Dr. Sharon Freeman, Mississippi Valley State University, and Interviewers Dr. Synatra Smith and Dr. Portia Hopkins for their skill and expertise. A public report and Board report will be available in mid-April. We are hopeful that this project lays the foundation for a large-scale digitization project. Season 3: Material Memory - The HBCU Library Alliance Tour Season 3 of the Material Memory Podcast, the HBCU Library Alliance Tour, highlights the following six individuals/institutions: Dana Chandler, Tuskegee University (AL) DeLisa Minor Harris, Fisk University (TN) Ida Jones, Morgan State University (MD) Wanda Scott Kinney, Benedict College (SC) Blanche Sanders, Alcorn State University (MS) Erika Witt, Southern University New Orleans (LA) I had the pleasure of speaking with each participant about the podcast, thanking them for their participation and encouraging them to subscribe to the podcast and share. Another HBCU Library Alliance podcast season is a possibility; however, there must be a broad social media presence from our community and beyond. The attached "Buckle Up" email contains information on the podcast series and the Battle for the Books competition. HBCU Library Alliance/Brown University Pilot Leadership Project Funded by the ILMS Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Program, the Stronger Together, Excellence in Library Leadership Program is the first leadership program to intentionally unite emerging library leaders from two distinct communities of practice, HBCUs and Brown University. The curriculum and immersive exchanges of this intensive, nurturing program will develop core leadership competencies: Courage to Lead and Change Management; Fundraising and Advocacy; Changing Technology; Social Justice; Disaster, Emergency, and Recovery; Mental Wellness and Emotional Intelligence; and Collection Stewardship. The Institute will be hosted this summer at Fisk University (TN) on Wednesday through Friday, June 15-17. Thanks to DeLisa Minor Harris for welcoming the Institute to Fisk. Follow this link https://library.brown.edu/create/stronger-together-leadership-program/ for more information and the application. A draft program outline is attached to this e-mail. Complete your submission no later than April 22, 2022. HBCU Library Alliance/University of Delaware Summer Conservation/Preservation Project The HBCU Library Alliance Conservation/Preservation Internship Program, since 2018, has successfully impacted the undergraduate educational experience! To date, twenty-eight interns have completed the internship program. Several interns are pursuing a career interest in librarianship or library-related positions. Ten applicants will be selected for the summer 2022 virtual internship later this month. The internship dates are Monday, June 6 through Friday, July 15. Cohort Zoom sessions will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30 am - 12:00 pm. Melissa Tedone, Project PI at the Winterthur Garden, Museum and Library (DE) recently informed me that Dr. Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress, will speak to the group at 10:30 on June 21st. Contact me directly if you have questions. Stay tuned! Sandra Sandra M. Phoenix, Executive Director HBCU Library Alliance 678-210-5801 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org<http://www.hbculibraries.org/> sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org> Seek justice, honor the ancestors, honor the children and those yet to come. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter at https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/