FW: Lincoln University Meets Performance-Based Funding Measures for Second Consecutive Year

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Thu, Dec 3, 2015 1:30 PM

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:58 PM
Subject: Lincoln University Meets Performance-Based Funding Measures for Second Consecutive Year

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

December 2, 2015

LINCOLN UNIVERSITY MEETS PERFORMANCE-BASED FUNDING MEASURES FOR SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR

Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University has met all five performance-based funding criteria for the second year in a row, which will mean additional funding for the institution in the upcoming fiscal year.  The institution has received word from the Missouri Department of Higher Education that it has met, for two consecutive years, the following five targets:  1. First-Time Freshman Successfully Completing 24 Hours in First Academic Year; 2. Total Degrees Awarded (with STEM weighting); 3. Improvements in Assessment of General Education; 4.Percentage of Total Expenditures Expended on the Core Mission; and 5. First-Year Retention of First-Time Full-Time Students Residing in Residential Halls.

The university exceeded the benchmarks on three of the targets.  In the area of Student Success and Progress, Lincoln University increased its:

  • First-Time Freshman Successfully Completing 24 Hours in First Academic Year from 32.2% to 36.8%,
  • Total Degrees Awarded (with STEM weighting) from 1,574 to 1,590
  • First-Year Retention of First-Time Full-Time Students Residing in Residential Hall from 37.7% to 43.3%.

The university saw improved performance in all five target areas.

"Meeting these five targets will net additional funding for the university in the state budget process," notes Said Sewell, Ph. D., Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.  "While the additional resources are welcomed and will be used to continue to meet our university goals, this high achievement for the second consecutive year speaks to a larger trend that is taking place at Lincoln University: We are becoming a university of distinction."

Beginning with the FY2014 budget, institutions of higher education receive base appropriations, plus an additional funding for performance in five target areas.  By meeting all five targets, Lincoln University is positioned to receive 100% of its performance-based funding, which is welcome news to university officials.

"We are hopeful that these numbers are also reflected in the budget considerations during the 2016 legislative session.  The results of the hard work of the entire Lincoln University family are evident in these numbers," says Dr. Kevin D. Rome, President of Lincoln University.  "What this tells us is that our students are committed to not only starting an education, but finishing their education.  It also shows we have dedicated faculty and staff who believe in student success and in furthering the mission of our university, which is to provide a quality education in a student-centered environment."

The amount of performance-based funding will be decided in the upcoming legislative session, which begins January 7, 2016.

Misty Young
Director, Office of University Relations
573-681-6032
www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu/
[150signature]

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu] Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:58 PM Subject: Lincoln University Meets Performance-Based Funding Measures for Second Consecutive Year FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT MISTY YOUNG (573) 681-6032 December 2, 2015 LINCOLN UNIVERSITY MEETS PERFORMANCE-BASED FUNDING MEASURES FOR SECOND CONSECUTIVE YEAR Jefferson City, MO- Lincoln University has met all five performance-based funding criteria for the second year in a row, which will mean additional funding for the institution in the upcoming fiscal year. The institution has received word from the Missouri Department of Higher Education that it has met, for two consecutive years, the following five targets: 1. First-Time Freshman Successfully Completing 24 Hours in First Academic Year; 2. Total Degrees Awarded (with STEM weighting); 3. Improvements in Assessment of General Education; 4.Percentage of Total Expenditures Expended on the Core Mission; and 5. First-Year Retention of First-Time Full-Time Students Residing in Residential Halls. The university exceeded the benchmarks on three of the targets. In the area of Student Success and Progress, Lincoln University increased its: * First-Time Freshman Successfully Completing 24 Hours in First Academic Year from 32.2% to 36.8%, * Total Degrees Awarded (with STEM weighting) from 1,574 to 1,590 * First-Year Retention of First-Time Full-Time Students Residing in Residential Hall from 37.7% to 43.3%. The university saw improved performance in all five target areas. "Meeting these five targets will net additional funding for the university in the state budget process," notes Said Sewell, Ph. D., Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. "While the additional resources are welcomed and will be used to continue to meet our university goals, this high achievement for the second consecutive year speaks to a larger trend that is taking place at Lincoln University: We are becoming a university of distinction." Beginning with the FY2014 budget, institutions of higher education receive base appropriations, plus an additional funding for performance in five target areas. By meeting all five targets, Lincoln University is positioned to receive 100% of its performance-based funding, which is welcome news to university officials. "We are hopeful that these numbers are also reflected in the budget considerations during the 2016 legislative session. The results of the hard work of the entire Lincoln University family are evident in these numbers," says Dr. Kevin D. Rome, President of Lincoln University. "What this tells us is that our students are committed to not only starting an education, but finishing their education. It also shows we have dedicated faculty and staff who believe in student success and in furthering the mission of our university, which is to provide a quality education in a student-centered environment." The amount of performance-based funding will be decided in the upcoming legislative session, which begins January 7, 2016. Misty Young Director, Office of University Relations 573-681-6032 www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu/> [150signature]