FW: Miles College Honda 2018 Challenge

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Wed, Apr 4, 2018 4:53 PM

From: Intern Development [mailto:intern.development@miles.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:51 PM
Cc: Alicia Johnson Williams ajohnson@miles.edu
Subject: Miles College Honda 2018 Challenge

[cid:image002.jpg@01D3CC0B.3AE885A0]Media Contact:
Alicia Johnson-Williams
Director of College Relations
(205) 515-7781
E-mail:  ajwilliams@miles.edumailto:ajwilliams@miles.edu

NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 4, 2018
Miles College to Compete in 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
Championship Tournament in Los Angeles, April 7-11

[cid:image003.jpg@01D3CC0B.3AE885A0]

Fairfield, AL- After participating in a National Qualifying Tournament, Miles College will compete against fellow Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) at the 29th annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge National Championship Tournament (HCASC) April 7-11. Teams from 48 HBCUs will go head-to-head in the National Championship of America$B!G(Js premier academic quiz for top HBCU student on the American Honda Motor CO., Inc. campus in Torrance, California. Miles College has the opportunity to win the HCASC top prize - a $75,000 institutional grant from Honda.

Miles will be represented by Marcus Goshey, a senior majoring in Computer Information Systems form Westwood, NJ, Keila Michelle Lawrence, a sophomore majoring in Biology from Savannah, GA, Colby Brent Pate, a sophomore majoring in Mathematics from Hueytown, AL, and Jordan Walker, a freshman majoring in Communications from Atlanta, GA. Misty Hardy McFadden is the coach for the team.

$B!H(JThis is a well-deserved opportunity for our students and their coach for achieving such greatness,$B!I(J said Miles College President George T. French Jr. $B!H(JI am very proud of them and I know they will continue to represent Miles College well as they compete for the National Championship.$B!I(J

Honda Campus All-Star Challenge is a year-round program that includes campus engagement, intramural play, qualifying tournaments and culminates with the National Championship. The fast-paced competition highlights students$B!G(J academic prowess and ability to answer questions about history, science, literature, religion, the arts and pop culture. As a result, students expand their scope of knowledge; learn teamwork and sportsmanship; travel to California to represent their schools at the National Championship Tournament; and develop a bond with their fellow competitors. HCASC$B!G(Js active alumni group also supports students with networking and mentorship opportunities post-graduation.

The 2018 HCASC finals will be live$B!>(Jstreamed on Tuesday, April 10 starting at 12:00 p.m. ET at HCASC.com. For more information on HCASC, including a full list of the 48 qualifying teams, visit www.hcasc.com.http://www.hcasc.com/

Ke$B!G(JYona Franklin
Intern, Office of College Relations
(205) 929- 1452

From: Intern Development [mailto:intern.development@miles.edu] Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2018 12:51 PM Cc: Alicia Johnson Williams <ajohnson@miles.edu> Subject: Miles College Honda 2018 Challenge [cid:image002.jpg@01D3CC0B.3AE885A0]Media Contact: Alicia Johnson-Williams Director of College Relations (205) 515-7781 E-mail: ajwilliams@miles.edu<mailto:ajwilliams@miles.edu> NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 4, 2018 Miles College to Compete in 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge Championship Tournament in Los Angeles, April 7-11 [cid:image003.jpg@01D3CC0B.3AE885A0] Fairfield, AL- After participating in a National Qualifying Tournament, Miles College will compete against fellow Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) at the 29th annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge National Championship Tournament (HCASC) April 7-11. Teams from 48 HBCUs will go head-to-head in the National Championship of America$B!G(Js premier academic quiz for top HBCU student on the American Honda Motor CO., Inc. campus in Torrance, California. Miles College has the opportunity to win the HCASC top prize - a $75,000 institutional grant from Honda. Miles will be represented by Marcus Goshey, a senior majoring in Computer Information Systems form Westwood, NJ, Keila Michelle Lawrence, a sophomore majoring in Biology from Savannah, GA, Colby Brent Pate, a sophomore majoring in Mathematics from Hueytown, AL, and Jordan Walker, a freshman majoring in Communications from Atlanta, GA. Misty Hardy McFadden is the coach for the team. $B!H(JThis is a well-deserved opportunity for our students and their coach for achieving such greatness,$B!I(J said Miles College President George T. French Jr. $B!H(JI am very proud of them and I know they will continue to represent Miles College well as they compete for the National Championship.$B!I(J Honda Campus All-Star Challenge is a year-round program that includes campus engagement, intramural play, qualifying tournaments and culminates with the National Championship. The fast-paced competition highlights students$B!G(J academic prowess and ability to answer questions about history, science, literature, religion, the arts and pop culture. As a result, students expand their scope of knowledge; learn teamwork and sportsmanship; travel to California to represent their schools at the National Championship Tournament; and develop a bond with their fellow competitors. HCASC$B!G(Js active alumni group also supports students with networking and mentorship opportunities post-graduation. The 2018 HCASC finals will be live$B!>(Jstreamed on Tuesday, April 10 starting at 12:00 p.m. ET at HCASC.com. For more information on HCASC, including a full list of the 48 qualifying teams, visit www.hcasc.com.<http://www.hcasc.com/> ### Ke$B!G(JYona Franklin Intern, Office of College Relations (205) 929- 1452