RE: ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award - Mary Jo Fayoyin

KM
Kenerson, Murle
Mon, Dec 4, 2017 2:34 PM

From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sanders, Blanche
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 8:14 AM
To: Sandra Phoenix; hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org
Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org; Karen Jefferson
Subject: RE: ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award - Mary Jo Fayoyin

Congratulations, Mary Jo!

From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Phoenix
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 7:31 AM
To: hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.orgmailto:hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org
Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.orgmailto:Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org; Karen Jefferson

Colleagues, our own Mary Jo is one of the ten librarians to receive this honor!!! Congrats Mary Jo!!!! Thanks to Jean Greene for sharing.
ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award

Ten librarians receive national public service honor

News provided by
American Library Association https://www.prnewswire.com/news/american-library-association

Nov 30, 2017, 07:20 ET

Today 10 librarians were honored with the prestigious 2017 I Love My Librarian Award for their outstanding public service contributions. Selected from more than 1,100 nominations submitted by library users nationwide, including educators and members of the public, the winning librarians are being recognized for their leadership in transforming lives and communities through education and lifelong learning.

The 1,125 nominations detail how librarians working in public, school, college, community college or university libraries have gone above and beyond to improve community members' lives. In the United States there are 190,000 librarians working in libraries of all types, and only 100 librarians have been selected for this distinguished honor since the award's inception in 2008.

The 2017 award winners include an academic librarian who preserves the stories and histories of the LGBTQ community; a public librarian who helps economically disadvantaged families connect with social services; a school librarian who inspires a love of reading in students who are new to the country or speak English as a second language; and a public librarian who helps underserved teens explore their passions and prepare for college.

"This year's I Love My Librarian Award recipients are true leaders who are inspiring and implementing strategies to better their communities," said Jim Neal, president of the American Library Association. "Whether it's fostering inclusion and diversity or mentoring youth, these librarians are expanding beyond their traditional roles and providing more opportunities to meet the changing needs of the patrons they serve."

Each winning librarian will receive a $5,000 prize at an award ceremony and reception to be held in New York City tonight. The ceremony is hosted by the philanthropic foundation Carnegie Corporation of New York, which co-sponsors the award along with The New York Public Library and The New York Times. The American Library Association administers the award through its Public Awareness Office, which promotes the value of libraries and librarians.

The 2017 I Love My Librarian Award recipients include three academic librarians, four public librarians and three school librarians. This year's winners are:

Julie Bill
Musicians Institute College of Contemporary Music
Los Angeles

Sheikla Blount
Columbiana (Alabama) Middle School

Annie Cipolla
Los Angeles Public Library

Rosemary Cooper
Albert Wisner Public Library
Warwick, New York

Laurie Doan
Tredyffrin Public Library
Strafford, Pennsylvania

Mary Jo Fayoyin
Savannah (Georgia) State University

Natalia Fernández
Oregon State University
Corvallis, Oregon

Marcia Kochel
Druid Hills Middle School
Decatur, Georgia

Rita Platt
St. Croix Falls (Wisconsin) Elementary

Timothy Ryan
Rochester (New York) Public Library

For more information regarding the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award recipients, please visit www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarianhttp://www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian. To share information about the winners and the importance of their work in the community please use #ILoveMyLibrarian on social media.

About Carnegie Corporation of New York
Carnegie Corporation of New York was established by Andrew Carnegie in 1911 "to promote the advancement and diffusion of knowledge and understanding." In keeping with this mandate, the Corporation's work focuses on the issues that Andrew Carnegie considered of paramount importance: international peace, the advancement of education and knowledge, and the strength of our democracy.

About The New York Public Library
The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations-including research and branch libraries-throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.orghttp://www.nypl.org/. To offer this wide array of free programming, The New York Public Library relies on both public and private funding. Learn more about how to support the Library at nypl.org/support.

About the American Library Association
The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library association in the world, with more than 57,000 members in academic, public, school, government, and special libraries. The mission of the American Library Association is to provide leadership for the development, promotion and improvement of library and information services and the profession of librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all.

View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ala-announces-winners-of-the-2017-i-love-my-librarian-award-300563757.html

SOURCE American Library Association

SANDRA M. PHOENIX
HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director
Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
111 James P. Brawley Drive SW
Atlanta, GA 30314
404-978-2118 (office)
404-702-5854 (cell)
http://www.hbculibraries.org/
sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.orgmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>
Honor the ancestors, honor the children.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance
Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/

Congrats Mary Jo!! Murle E. Kenerson, Ed. D Associate Professor and Interim Dean, Libraries & Media Centers Brown-Daniel Library Tennessee State University 3500 John A. Merritt Blvd. Nashville, TN 37209-1561 (615) 963-5203 (office) (615) 963-5216 (fax) mkenerson@tnstate.edu [LogoGIFblue] "Think. Work. Serve." [excellence_blue-01] Two truths approach each other. One comes from inside, the other from outside, and where they meet we have a chance to catch sight of ourselves - from "Preludes" From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sanders, Blanche Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 8:14 AM To: Sandra Phoenix; hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org; Karen Jefferson Subject: RE: ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award - Mary Jo Fayoyin Congratulations, Mary Jo! From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Phoenix Sent: Monday, December 04, 2017 7:31 AM To: hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org<mailto:hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org> Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org<mailto:Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org>; Karen Jefferson Subject: ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award - Mary Jo Fayoyin Importance: High Colleagues, our own Mary Jo is one of the ten librarians to receive this honor!!! Congrats Mary Jo!!!! Thanks to Jean Greene for sharing. ALA announces winners of the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award Ten librarians receive national public service honor News provided by American Library Association <https://www.prnewswire.com/news/american-library-association> Nov 30, 2017, 07:20 ET Today 10 librarians were honored with the prestigious 2017 I Love My Librarian Award for their outstanding public service contributions. Selected from more than 1,100 nominations submitted by library users nationwide, including educators and members of the public, the winning librarians are being recognized for their leadership in transforming lives and communities through education and lifelong learning. The 1,125 nominations detail how librarians working in public, school, college, community college or university libraries have gone above and beyond to improve community members' lives. In the United States there are 190,000 librarians working in libraries of all types, and only 100 librarians have been selected for this distinguished honor since the award's inception in 2008. The 2017 award winners include an academic librarian who preserves the stories and histories of the LGBTQ community; a public librarian who helps economically disadvantaged families connect with social services; a school librarian who inspires a love of reading in students who are new to the country or speak English as a second language; and a public librarian who helps underserved teens explore their passions and prepare for college. "This year's I Love My Librarian Award recipients are true leaders who are inspiring and implementing strategies to better their communities," said Jim Neal, president of the American Library Association. "Whether it's fostering inclusion and diversity or mentoring youth, these librarians are expanding beyond their traditional roles and providing more opportunities to meet the changing needs of the patrons they serve." Each winning librarian will receive a $5,000 prize at an award ceremony and reception to be held in New York City tonight. The ceremony is hosted by the philanthropic foundation Carnegie Corporation of New York, which co-sponsors the award along with The New York Public Library and The New York Times. The American Library Association administers the award through its Public Awareness Office, which promotes the value of libraries and librarians. The 2017 I Love My Librarian Award recipients include three academic librarians, four public librarians and three school librarians. This year's winners are: Julie Bill Musicians Institute College of Contemporary Music Los Angeles Sheikla Blount Columbiana (Alabama) Middle School Annie Cipolla Los Angeles Public Library Rosemary Cooper Albert Wisner Public Library Warwick, New York Laurie Doan Tredyffrin Public Library Strafford, Pennsylvania Mary Jo Fayoyin Savannah (Georgia) State University Natalia Fernández Oregon State University Corvallis, Oregon Marcia Kochel Druid Hills Middle School Decatur, Georgia Rita Platt St. Croix Falls (Wisconsin) Elementary Timothy Ryan Rochester (New York) Public Library For more information regarding the 2017 I Love My Librarian Award recipients, please visit www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian<http://www.ilovelibraries.org/ilovemylibrarian>. To share information about the winners and the importance of their work in the community please use #ILoveMyLibrarian on social media. About Carnegie Corporation of New York Carnegie Corporation of New York was established by Andrew Carnegie in 1911 "to promote the advancement and diffusion of knowledge and understanding." In keeping with this mandate, the Corporation's work focuses on the issues that Andrew Carnegie considered of paramount importance: international peace, the advancement of education and knowledge, and the strength of our democracy. About The New York Public Library The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations-including research and branch libraries-throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.org<http://www.nypl.org/>. To offer this wide array of free programming, The New York Public Library relies on both public and private funding. Learn more about how to support the Library at nypl.org/support. About the American Library Association The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library association in the world, with more than 57,000 members in academic, public, school, government, and special libraries. The mission of the American Library Association is to provide leadership for the development, promotion and improvement of library and information services and the profession of librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all. View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ala-announces-winners-of-the-2017-i-love-my-librarian-award-300563757.html SOURCE American Library Association SANDRA M. PHOENIX HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library 111 James P. Brawley Drive SW Atlanta, GA 30314 404-978-2118 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org/ sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>> Honor the ancestors, honor the children. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/