Announcement: Deanna Marcum and Debbie Norris appointed to HBCU Library Alliance Board of Directors

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Wed, Aug 2, 2017 3:54 PM

Greetings Colleagues,

This e-mail provides an update on the two (2) appointed HBCU Library Alliance Board positions.

Members in good standing recently approved changes to the HBCU Library Alliance Bylaws affecting the Board of Directors.  The Board now consists of five (5) elected and two (2) appointed positions. The two appointed voting board members shall be experts chosen and appointed by the Board of Directors and may be from an HBCU institution, from an institution that is not an HBCU, a member or not a member.

Members in good standing elected Jean Greene, Hinds Community College (MS), Tasha Lucas-Youmans, Bethune Cookman University (FL), Morgan Montgomery, Claflin University (SC)  and Adrienne Webber, University of Maryland Eastern Shore to the HBCU Library Alliance Board for a three-year term. They join Monika Rhue, Johnson C. Smith University, who will serve as Board Chair.
I'm pleased to announce that Deanna Marcum, Senior Advisor, Ithaka S+R and Debbie Norris, Director, Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation, have been appointed to the Board of Directors.

Deanna Marcum's photo and statement of interest

[cid:image005.jpg@01D30B86.0A4DCB30]"I believe libraries are most effective when they work together to provide services to their users. I became involved with HBCU libraries in the 1980s when the Mellon Foundation asked me to conduct a survey of the collections of several HBCUs so that the Foundation could make better decisions about how to support those institutions. I worked with the Woodruff Foundation as it made decisions about investing in the redevelopment of the Woodruff Library in Atlanta and ultimately served on the Woodruff Library Board for several years. I am impressed with the passion and dedication of the HBCU Library Alliance, and it will be a privilege to lend support."

Debbie Norris' Photo and statement of interest
[cid:image006.png@01D30B86.0A4DCB30]"I am honored to serve on the HBCU Library Alliance Board. For more than a decade I have had the privilege to be involved in a wonderful collaborative initiative, launched in partnership with the HBCU Library Alliance and other NGOs and supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,  aimed at preserving the rich photographic and audio visual legacy held in HBCU libraries http://www.hbculibraries.org/preservation.html

Together we worked to digitize and rehouse collections, to prioritize their preservation, to increase awareness about their significance and value, and to engage HBCU faculty, staff, and students in the scholarship and care of these remarkable holdings. As a photograph conservator I offered lectures and workshops to HBCU librarians and  (wonderful!) students on photograph preservation, advocacy, and fundraising - subjects that I enjoy greatly.  These and other collections held in HBCU libraries require our care and attention; they are national treasures.

I hope to share my experience in fundraising and teaching worldwide to further reveal the exceptional collections held within HBCU libraries - large and small - and to make them more visible and widely available to scholars, teachers, and students.  In doing so, we must ensure that these libraries are valued on campus and beyond. Together, we can develop new promotional campaigns, find ways to engage regularly HBCU faculty and staff with primary source materials, develop preservation training programs,  and foster new consortia and partnerships with major research libraries across the nation.

I am prepared to work on many fronts, with a focus on developing strategies to strengthen internal and external funding, as I believe strongly in the leadership, mission, and purpose of the HBCU Library Alliance."

We are excited that Deanna and Debbie have joined us to support member institutions, to create sustainable operations, and to align services to meet member needs.

Feel free to send kudos to Deanna and Debbie at:

Deanna Marcum - Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.orgmailto:Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.org

Debbie Norris - dhnorris@udel.edumailto:dhnorris@udel.edu

Stay tuned!

Sandra

SANDRA M. PHOENIX
HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director
Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
111 James P. Brawley Drive SW
Atlanta, GA 30314
404-978-2118 (office)
404-702-5854 (cell)
http://www.hbculibraries.org/
sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.orgmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>
Honor the ancestors, honor the children.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance
Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/

[...]
EP
EMMA PERRY
Wed, Aug 2, 2017 5:01 PM

Wonderful news and congratulations to all!
With the elected and appointed Board members, I am impressed and pleased about the possibilities for the Alliance!

Cheers,
Emma Bradford Perry
Dean of Libraries
Southern University
Baton Rouge, LA
[...]

[http://www.sr.ithaka.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/sr_deanna2-306x255-c-default.jpg]"I believe libraries are most effective when they work together to provide services to their users. I became involved with HBCU libraries in the 1980s when the Mellon Foundation asked me to conduct a survey of the collections of several HBCUs so that the Foundation could make better decisions about how to support those institutions. I worked with the Woodruff Foundation as it made decisions about investing in the redevelopment of the Woodruff Library in Atlanta and ultimately served on the Woodruff Library Board for several years. I am impressed with the passion and dedication of the HBCU Library Alliance, and it will be a privilege to lend support."

Debbie Norris' Photo and statement of interest
[cid:image004.png@01D30B87.0FDC6970]"I am honored to serve on the HBCU Library Alliance Board. For more than a decade I have had the privilege to be involved in a wonderful collaborative initiative, launched in partnership with the HBCU Library Alliance and other NGOs and supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,  aimed at preserving the rich photographic and audio visual legacy held in HBCU libraries http://www.hbculibraries.org/preservation.html

[...]

Wonderful news and congratulations to all! With the elected and appointed Board members, I am impressed and pleased about the possibilities for the Alliance! Cheers, Emma Bradford Perry Dean of Libraries Southern University Baton Rouge, LA From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Phoenix Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 10:54 AM To: hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org; Karen Jefferson Subject: Announcement: Deanna Marcum and Debbie Norris appointed to HBCU Library Alliance Board of Directors Greetings Colleagues, This e-mail provides an update on the two (2) appointed HBCU Library Alliance Board positions. Members in good standing recently approved changes to the HBCU Library Alliance Bylaws affecting the Board of Directors. The Board now consists of five (5) elected and two (2) appointed positions. The two appointed voting board members shall be experts chosen and appointed by the Board of Directors and may be from an HBCU institution, from an institution that is not an HBCU, a member or not a member. Members in good standing elected Jean Greene, Hinds Community College (MS), Tasha Lucas-Youmans, Bethune Cookman University (FL), Morgan Montgomery, Claflin University (SC) and Adrienne Webber, University of Maryland Eastern Shore to the HBCU Library Alliance Board for a three-year term. They join Monika Rhue, Johnson C. Smith University, who will serve as Board Chair. I'm pleased to announce that Deanna Marcum, Senior Advisor, Ithaka S+R and Debbie Norris, Director, Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation, have been appointed to the Board of Directors. Deanna Marcum's photo and statement of interest [http://www.sr.ithaka.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/sr_deanna2-306x255-c-default.jpg]"I believe libraries are most effective when they work together to provide services to their users. I became involved with HBCU libraries in the 1980s when the Mellon Foundation asked me to conduct a survey of the collections of several HBCUs so that the Foundation could make better decisions about how to support those institutions. I worked with the Woodruff Foundation as it made decisions about investing in the redevelopment of the Woodruff Library in Atlanta and ultimately served on the Woodruff Library Board for several years. I am impressed with the passion and dedication of the HBCU Library Alliance, and it will be a privilege to lend support." Debbie Norris' Photo and statement of interest [cid:image004.png@01D30B87.0FDC6970]"I am honored to serve on the HBCU Library Alliance Board. For more than a decade I have had the privilege to be involved in a wonderful collaborative initiative, launched in partnership with the HBCU Library Alliance and other NGOs and supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, aimed at preserving the rich photographic and audio visual legacy held in HBCU libraries http://www.hbculibraries.org/preservation.html Together we worked to digitize and rehouse collections, to prioritize their preservation, to increase awareness about their significance and value, and to engage HBCU faculty, staff, and students in the scholarship and care of these remarkable holdings. As a photograph conservator I offered lectures and workshops to HBCU librarians and (wonderful!) students on photograph preservation, advocacy, and fundraising - subjects that I enjoy greatly. These and other collections held in HBCU libraries require our care and attention; they are national treasures. I hope to share my experience in fundraising and teaching worldwide to further reveal the exceptional collections held within HBCU libraries - large and small - and to make them more visible and widely available to scholars, teachers, and students. In doing so, we must ensure that these libraries are valued on campus and beyond. Together, we can develop new promotional campaigns, find ways to engage regularly HBCU faculty and staff with primary source materials, develop preservation training programs, and foster new consortia and partnerships with major research libraries across the nation. I am prepared to work on many fronts, with a focus on developing strategies to strengthen internal and external funding, as I believe strongly in the leadership, mission, and purpose of the HBCU Library Alliance." We are excited that Deanna and Debbie have joined us to support member institutions, to create sustainable operations, and to align services to meet member needs. Feel free to send kudos to Deanna and Debbie at: Deanna Marcum - Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.org<mailto:Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.org> Debbie Norris - dhnorris@udel.edu<mailto:dhnorris@udel.edu> Stay tuned! Sandra SANDRA M. PHOENIX HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library 111 James P. Brawley Drive SW Atlanta, GA 30314 404-978-2118 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org/ sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>> Honor the ancestors, honor the children. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/
LP
Loretta Parham
Wed, Aug 2, 2017 5:21 PM

I totally agree with Emma.  We will continue to lead and build!

Loretta Parham, CEO & Director
Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library
We will always provide service that exceeds the customer's expectation...Because We Care!

[cid:image005.jpg@01D30B92.5246F8B0]"I believe libraries are most effective when they work together to provide services to their users. I became involved with HBCU libraries in the 1980s when the Mellon Foundation asked me to conduct a survey of the collections of several HBCUs so that the Foundation could make better decisions about how to support those institutions. I worked with the Woodruff Foundation as it made decisions about investing in the redevelopment of the Woodruff Library in Atlanta and ultimately served on the Woodruff Library Board for several years. I am impressed with the passion and dedication of the HBCU Library Alliance, and it will be a privilege to lend support."

[...]

I totally agree with Emma. We will continue to lead and build! Loretta Parham, CEO & Director Atlanta University Center Woodruff Library We will always provide service that exceeds the customer's expectation...Because We Care! From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of EMMA PERRY Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 1:01 PM To: Sandra Phoenix; hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org; Karen Jefferson Subject: RE: Announcement: Deanna Marcum and Debbie Norris appointed to HBCU Library Alliance Board of Directors Wonderful news and congratulations to all! With the elected and appointed Board members, I am impressed and pleased about the possibilities for the Alliance! Cheers, Emma Bradford Perry Dean of Libraries Southern University Baton Rouge, LA From: HBCU-LibAdmin [mailto:hbcu-libadmin-bounces@lists.hbculibraries.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Phoenix Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2017 10:54 AM To: hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org<mailto:hbcu-libadmin@lists.hbculibraries.org> Cc: Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org<mailto:Hbcu-lib@lists.hbculibraries.org>; Karen Jefferson Subject: Announcement: Deanna Marcum and Debbie Norris appointed to HBCU Library Alliance Board of Directors Greetings Colleagues, This e-mail provides an update on the two (2) appointed HBCU Library Alliance Board positions. Members in good standing recently approved changes to the HBCU Library Alliance Bylaws affecting the Board of Directors. The Board now consists of five (5) elected and two (2) appointed positions. The two appointed voting board members shall be experts chosen and appointed by the Board of Directors and may be from an HBCU institution, from an institution that is not an HBCU, a member or not a member. Members in good standing elected Jean Greene, Hinds Community College (MS), Tasha Lucas-Youmans, Bethune Cookman University (FL), Morgan Montgomery, Claflin University (SC) and Adrienne Webber, University of Maryland Eastern Shore to the HBCU Library Alliance Board for a three-year term. They join Monika Rhue, Johnson C. Smith University, who will serve as Board Chair. I'm pleased to announce that Deanna Marcum, Senior Advisor, Ithaka S+R and Debbie Norris, Director, Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation, have been appointed to the Board of Directors. Deanna Marcum's photo and statement of interest [cid:image005.jpg@01D30B92.5246F8B0]"I believe libraries are most effective when they work together to provide services to their users. I became involved with HBCU libraries in the 1980s when the Mellon Foundation asked me to conduct a survey of the collections of several HBCUs so that the Foundation could make better decisions about how to support those institutions. I worked with the Woodruff Foundation as it made decisions about investing in the redevelopment of the Woodruff Library in Atlanta and ultimately served on the Woodruff Library Board for several years. I am impressed with the passion and dedication of the HBCU Library Alliance, and it will be a privilege to lend support." Debbie Norris' Photo and statement of interest "I am honored to serve on the HBCU Library Alliance Board. For more than a decade I have had the privilege to be involved in a wonderful collaborative initiative, launched in partnership with the HBCU Library Alliance and other NGOs and supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, aimed at preserving the rich photographic and audio visual legacy held in HBCU libraries http://www.hbculibraries.org/preservation.html Together we worked to digitize and rehouse collections, to prioritize their preservation, to increase awareness about their significance and value, and to engage HBCU faculty, staff, and students in the scholarship and care of these remarkable holdings. As a photograph conservator I offered lectures and workshops to HBCU librarians and (wonderful!) students on photograph preservation, advocacy, and fundraising - subjects that I enjoy greatly. These and other collections held in HBCU libraries require our care and attention; they are national treasures. I hope to share my experience in fundraising and teaching worldwide to further reveal the exceptional collections held within HBCU libraries - large and small - and to make them more visible and widely available to scholars, teachers, and students. In doing so, we must ensure that these libraries are valued on campus and beyond. Together, we can develop new promotional campaigns, find ways to engage regularly HBCU faculty and staff with primary source materials, develop preservation training programs, and foster new consortia and partnerships with major research libraries across the nation. I am prepared to work on many fronts, with a focus on developing strategies to strengthen internal and external funding, as I believe strongly in the leadership, mission, and purpose of the HBCU Library Alliance." We are excited that Deanna and Debbie have joined us to support member institutions, to create sustainable operations, and to align services to meet member needs. Feel free to send kudos to Deanna and Debbie at: Deanna Marcum - Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.org<mailto:Deanna.Marcum@ithaka.org> Debbie Norris - dhnorris@udel.edu<mailto:dhnorris@udel.edu> Stay tuned! Sandra SANDRA M. PHOENIX HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library 111 James P. Brawley Drive SW Atlanta, GA 30314 404-978-2118 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org/ sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>> Honor the ancestors, honor the children. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/