JUSTICE, EQUALITY, AND COMMUNITY ARCHIVES FELLOW

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Mon, Apr 12, 2021 12:30 PM

From: Rhue, Monika [mailto:mrhue@jcsu.edu]
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 12:04 PM
Subject: Rhue-Fellowship Opportunity

JUSTICE, EQUALITY, AND COMMUNITY ARCHIVES FELLOW

Davidson's E.H. Little Library, recipient of the 2021 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Awardhttps://acrl.ala.org/acrlinsider/archives/20852, seeks a Justice, Equality, and Community (JEC) Archives Fellow to advance our understanding of the College's nineteenth-century involvement with enslaved peoples and its role in civil rights in the twentieth century. The JEC Archives Fellow, funded partially by the Duke Endowment, will join a cohort of researchers at Duke University, Furman University, and Johnson C. Smith University to support exploration of the racial history at their respective institutions. At Davidson, the JEC Archives Fellow will collaborate with Archives, Special Collections, and Community staff to identify and process relevant collections, research materials, and create digital scholarship and learning resources to promote dialogue across the community. Working with cohort, campus, and community partners, including the Davidson College Commission on Race and Slaveryhttps://www.davidson.edu/about/commission-race-and-slavery, the Fellow will focus efforts on researching and documenting Davidson's complicated history with enslavement, race relations, civil rights, and other related topics.

Our library is inspired by the college's public commitment to racial equity and justice. To create an inclusive learning community and to reflect the diversity of Davidson experiences, we collaborate on projects that reframe the narratives our college tells about itself, develop collections in partnership with students and faculty, and create meaningful community connections. We seek a Fellow who joins us in embracing a special set of responsibilities as we articulate the college's relationship to the past, confront our present moment, and chart a hopeful future.

Primary Responsibilities:

  •    Collaborate with Archives, Special Collections, and Community staff, faculty, and students on research projects related to the history of race and racism at Davidson.

  •    Partner with library colleagues and other Davidson College staff to develop materials, educational resources, and exhibits that explore Davidson's complicated history of enslavement and race relations

  •    Identify, process, and digitize collections identified as critical to the understanding of race relations at Davidson

  •    Assist with research requests, instruction, social media, and public presentations on topics related to the use of archival materials for justice, equality, and community topics

  •    Contribute to larger conversations occurring within the Duke Endowment Libraries (TDEL) cohort, participating in joint presentations to the TDEL community

Essential Qualifications:

  •    Familiarity with or willingness to learn research in archives in academic libraries

  •    Demonstrated sensitivity when working with diverse groups and understanding of anti-racist concepts and practices, especially as they relate to archival practices

  •    Ability to work independently and in collaboration with students, staff, and faculty

  •    Bachelor's degree in a related field

Desired (but not required) Qualifications:

  •    Member of the Davidson College Class of 2020 or 2021

  •    Experience working with Davidson College Archives & Special Collections

  •    Background or interest in oral history and/or podcasting

  •    Familiarity with metadata application, digitization, and/or preservation

  •    Willingness to learn tools and techniques used in digital humanities

The Davidson College Fellows program provides Class of 2020 or 2021 graduates an entry-level, one-year or two-year term-limited position. Fellows positions are open to all recent graduates, although the college gives a hiring preference to Davidson graduates. For more details about the Fellows program, please see https://www.davidson.edu/offices-and-services/human-resources/work-davidson/fellows-program.

Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, people of color, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission.

This is a 12-month position with the possibility of renewal for an additional 12 months.  The position will be available July 1, 2021. Deadline to apply is April 19th.  Please apply online at https://employment.davidson.edu https://employment.davidson.edu/ and include a cover letter and resume.

At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community.  In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins.

Monika Rhue (Nooma)

Leading Change Institute 2019 Class

HBCU Library Alliance Board Chair

Director of Library Services and Curation

James B. Duke Memorial Library

www.library.jcsu.eduhttp://www.library.jcsu.edu/

Johnson C. Smith University

mrhue@jcsu.edumailto:mrhue@jcsu.edu

704-371-6730

[1493318716235_library]

Recruitment. Resources. Retention. Rigor.

From: Rhue, Monika [mailto:mrhue@jcsu.edu] Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 12:04 PM Subject: Rhue-Fellowship Opportunity JUSTICE, EQUALITY, AND COMMUNITY ARCHIVES FELLOW Davidson's E.H. Little Library, recipient of the 2021 ACRL Excellence in Academic Libraries Award<https://acrl.ala.org/acrlinsider/archives/20852>, seeks a Justice, Equality, and Community (JEC) Archives Fellow to advance our understanding of the College's nineteenth-century involvement with enslaved peoples and its role in civil rights in the twentieth century. The JEC Archives Fellow, funded partially by the Duke Endowment, will join a cohort of researchers at Duke University, Furman University, and Johnson C. Smith University to support exploration of the racial history at their respective institutions. At Davidson, the JEC Archives Fellow will collaborate with Archives, Special Collections, and Community staff to identify and process relevant collections, research materials, and create digital scholarship and learning resources to promote dialogue across the community. Working with cohort, campus, and community partners, including the Davidson College Commission on Race and Slavery<https://www.davidson.edu/about/commission-race-and-slavery>, the Fellow will focus efforts on researching and documenting Davidson's complicated history with enslavement, race relations, civil rights, and other related topics. Our library is inspired by the college's public commitment to racial equity and justice. To create an inclusive learning community and to reflect the diversity of Davidson experiences, we collaborate on projects that reframe the narratives our college tells about itself, develop collections in partnership with students and faculty, and create meaningful community connections. We seek a Fellow who joins us in embracing a special set of responsibilities as we articulate the college's relationship to the past, confront our present moment, and chart a hopeful future. Primary Responsibilities: * Collaborate with Archives, Special Collections, and Community staff, faculty, and students on research projects related to the history of race and racism at Davidson. * * Partner with library colleagues and other Davidson College staff to develop materials, educational resources, and exhibits that explore Davidson's complicated history of enslavement and race relations * * Identify, process, and digitize collections identified as critical to the understanding of race relations at Davidson * * Assist with research requests, instruction, social media, and public presentations on topics related to the use of archival materials for justice, equality, and community topics * * Contribute to larger conversations occurring within the Duke Endowment Libraries (TDEL) cohort, participating in joint presentations to the TDEL community * Essential Qualifications: * Familiarity with or willingness to learn research in archives in academic libraries * * Demonstrated sensitivity when working with diverse groups and understanding of anti-racist concepts and practices, especially as they relate to archival practices * * Ability to work independently and in collaboration with students, staff, and faculty * * Bachelor's degree in a related field * Desired (but not required) Qualifications: * Member of the Davidson College Class of 2020 or 2021 * Experience working with Davidson College Archives & Special Collections * Background or interest in oral history and/or podcasting * Familiarity with metadata application, digitization, and/or preservation * Willingness to learn tools and techniques used in digital humanities The Davidson College Fellows program provides Class of 2020 or 2021 graduates an entry-level, one-year or two-year term-limited position. Fellows positions are open to all recent graduates, although the college gives a hiring preference to Davidson graduates. For more details about the Fellows program, please see https://www.davidson.edu/offices-and-services/human-resources/work-davidson/fellows-program. Davidson is strongly committed to achieving excellence and cultural diversity, and welcomes applications from women, people of color, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's mission. This is a 12-month position with the possibility of renewal for an additional 12 months. The position will be available July 1, 2021. Deadline to apply is April 19th. Please apply online at https://employment.davidson.edu <https://employment.davidson.edu/> and include a cover letter and resume. At Davidson College, we believe the college grows stronger by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff committed to building an inclusive community. In order to achieve and sustain educational excellence, we seek to hire talented faculty and staff across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, abilities, cultures, and national origins. Monika Rhue (Nooma) Leading Change Institute 2019 Class HBCU Library Alliance Board Chair Director of Library Services and Curation James B. Duke Memorial Library www.library.jcsu.edu<http://www.library.jcsu.edu/> Johnson C. Smith University mrhue@jcsu.edu<mailto:mrhue@jcsu.edu> 704-371-6730 [1493318716235_library] ************************************************ Recruitment. Resources. Retention. Rigor. ********************************************