FW: Learning to Serve Leads to Loving to Serve

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Mon, Aug 3, 2015 8:12 PM

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 3:37 PM
Subject: Learning to Serve Leads to Loving to Serve

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

August 3, 2015

LEARNING TO SERVE LEADS TO LOVING TO SERVE

Jefferson City, MO- New students at Lincoln University will begin their college careers in service to the community in which they will live and learn.  As part of ROAR Week, the freshman and new student week of welcome, Thursday, August 20, has been selected as a day of service.  Through collaboration with the United Way of Central Missouri, students will complete volunteer projects at various agencies from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Campus officials say this service activity is an important activity in the development of future community leaders.

"By including service in the early days of college, we are offering our students an opportunity to not only get acquainted with our community, but also, hopefully, lighting a spark to continue their work on an individual or group basis," says Dr. Kevin D. Rome, President of Lincoln University.  "Our students have strong futures as leaders and one of the most important attributes of leadership is service. We are always looking for opportunities to get Lincoln University students, faculty and staff into our community because we cannot function autonomously. We have to be out there working to maintain and build on the strength of Jefferson City."

DeRecco Lynch, Director of Orientation and New Student Programs, serves as the on-campus coordinator for the day of service, an activity that falls in line with goals set forth by the administration.

"This day supports President Rome's vision of the community involvement by the Lincoln University family.  This is a perfect way to introduce our students to the community and vice versa," says Lynch.

Dean of Administration and Student Affairs Dr. Jerome Offord, Jr. says while this will be the first time the university has offered a mass day of service, many students will be at home in lending a helping hand.

"Today's high school graduates are accustomed to service.  By continuing that tradition in their first days at Lincoln University, we are providing our students the opportunity to see the importance of civic engagement at the collegiate level. Learning to serve today could begin a lifelong love of service."

For more information or to register your not-for-profit organization for volunteers, please contact DeRecco Lynch at 573-681-HELP.

Misty Young
Director, Office of University Relations
573-681-5580
www.lincolnu.eduhttp://www.lincolnu.edu/
Beginning Monday, May 18 through Friday, August 7:
Summer Hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.  The university is closed on Fridays.
[150signature]

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu] Sent: Monday, August 3, 2015 3:37 PM Subject: Learning to Serve Leads to Loving to Serve FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT MISTY YOUNG (573) 681-6032 August 3, 2015 LEARNING TO SERVE LEADS TO LOVING TO SERVE Jefferson City, MO- New students at Lincoln University will begin their college careers in service to the community in which they will live and learn. As part of ROAR Week, the freshman and new student week of welcome, Thursday, August 20, has been selected as a day of service. Through collaboration with the United Way of Central Missouri, students will complete volunteer projects at various agencies from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Campus officials say this service activity is an important activity in the development of future community leaders. "By including service in the early days of college, we are offering our students an opportunity to not only get acquainted with our community, but also, hopefully, lighting a spark to continue their work on an individual or group basis," says Dr. Kevin D. Rome, President of Lincoln University. "Our students have strong futures as leaders and one of the most important attributes of leadership is service. We are always looking for opportunities to get Lincoln University students, faculty and staff into our community because we cannot function autonomously. We have to be out there working to maintain and build on the strength of Jefferson City." DeRecco Lynch, Director of Orientation and New Student Programs, serves as the on-campus coordinator for the day of service, an activity that falls in line with goals set forth by the administration. "This day supports President Rome's vision of the community involvement by the Lincoln University family. This is a perfect way to introduce our students to the community and vice versa," says Lynch. Dean of Administration and Student Affairs Dr. Jerome Offord, Jr. says while this will be the first time the university has offered a mass day of service, many students will be at home in lending a helping hand. "Today's high school graduates are accustomed to service. By continuing that tradition in their first days at Lincoln University, we are providing our students the opportunity to see the importance of civic engagement at the collegiate level. Learning to serve today could begin a lifelong love of service." For more information or to register your not-for-profit organization for volunteers, please contact DeRecco Lynch at 573-681-HELP. ### Misty Young Director, Office of University Relations 573-681-5580 www.lincolnu.edu<http://www.lincolnu.edu/> Beginning Monday, May 18 through Friday, August 7: Summer Hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. The university is closed on Fridays. [150signature]