NOTABLE LIBRARIAN - Passing of Mrs. Parham's mother

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Tue, Feb 14, 2017 7:25 PM

From: Mary Mathews
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 3:54 PM
To: Sandra Phoenix <sphoenix@hbculibraries.orgmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>
Subject: NOTABLE LIBRARIAN -- RE: Passing of Mrs. Parham's mother

I think it's of particular note that beyond being Loretta Parham's mother, Amanda S. Rudd was the Commissioner of the Chicago Public Library (CPL) 1982 -1985.  She was the first woman and first African American to head the CPL  - a major library system with over 90 locations at that time.  To date, there has not been another African American Commissioner.  Many librarians of color got started at CPL under Mrs. Rudd, including the Librarian of Congress, Carla Hayden.  Others librarians included on this mailing list are Bettye Black and Loretta Parham (there are many others, but many are retired or deceased).  I joined the CPL staff because Mrs. Rudd, as the most notable alumni at that time, was my commencement speaker at my graduation from the Case Western Reserve University School of Information and Library Science.

Here are a few links about her appointment as Commissioner of the Chicago Public Library, after serving as the Acting Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner.

https://books.google.com/books?id=tkEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=amanda+rudd+commissioner+chicago+public+library&source=bl&ots=zOTJH1Xw3y&sig=5f4AgeltTiFpJcY3Zt9489-aqo0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio2-qI9Y3SAhWFNiYKHXxkBkUQ6AEIOTAG#v=onepage&q=amanda%20rudd%20commissioner%20chicago%20public%20library&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=zC00PgNSAlkC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=amanda+rudd+commissioner+chicago+public+library&source=bl&ots=7GUsf7qvZv&sig=AkdWE8shT503UGtWhK9jLUqHZ2A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio2-qI9Y3SAhWFNiYKHXxkBkUQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=amanda%20rudd%20commissioner%20chicago%20public%20library&f=false

Mary C. Mathews
Development Officer
Atlanta University Center
Robert W. Woodruff Library
111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW
Atlanta, GA  30314
(404) 978-2121
mmathews@auctr.edumailto:mmathews@auctr.edu

SANDRA M. PHOENIX
HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director
Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library
111 James P. Brawley Drive SW
Atlanta, GA 30314
404-978-2118 (office)
404-702-5854 (cell)
http://www.hbculibraries.org/
sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.orgmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>
Honor the ancestors, honor the children.

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance
Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/

From: Mary Mathews Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 3:54 PM To: Sandra Phoenix <sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>> Subject: NOTABLE LIBRARIAN -- RE: Passing of Mrs. Parham's mother I think it's of particular note that beyond being Loretta Parham's mother, Amanda S. Rudd was the Commissioner of the Chicago Public Library (CPL) 1982 -1985. She was the first woman and first African American to head the CPL - a major library system with over 90 locations at that time. To date, there has not been another African American Commissioner. Many librarians of color got started at CPL under Mrs. Rudd, including the Librarian of Congress, Carla Hayden. Others librarians included on this mailing list are Bettye Black and Loretta Parham (there are many others, but many are retired or deceased). I joined the CPL staff because Mrs. Rudd, as the most notable alumni at that time, was my commencement speaker at my graduation from the Case Western Reserve University School of Information and Library Science. Here are a few links about her appointment as Commissioner of the Chicago Public Library, after serving as the Acting Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner. https://books.google.com/books?id=tkEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=amanda+rudd+commissioner+chicago+public+library&source=bl&ots=zOTJH1Xw3y&sig=5f4AgeltTiFpJcY3Zt9489-aqo0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio2-qI9Y3SAhWFNiYKHXxkBkUQ6AEIOTAG#v=onepage&q=amanda%20rudd%20commissioner%20chicago%20public%20library&f=false https://books.google.com/books?id=zC00PgNSAlkC&pg=PA101&lpg=PA101&dq=amanda+rudd+commissioner+chicago+public+library&source=bl&ots=7GUsf7qvZv&sig=AkdWE8shT503UGtWhK9jLUqHZ2A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio2-qI9Y3SAhWFNiYKHXxkBkUQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=amanda%20rudd%20commissioner%20chicago%20public%20library&f=false Mary C. Mathews Development Officer Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library 111 James P. Brawley Drive, SW Atlanta, GA 30314 (404) 978-2121 mmathews@auctr.edu<mailto:mmathews@auctr.edu> SANDRA M. PHOENIX HBCU Library Alliance Executive Director Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library 111 James P. Brawley Drive SW Atlanta, GA 30314 404-978-2118 (office) 404-702-5854 (cell) http://www.hbculibraries.org/ sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org<mailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org%3cmailto:sphoenix@hbculibraries.org>> Honor the ancestors, honor the children. Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/hbculibraryalliance1/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/HBCULibAlliance Check out "PULSE!" The HBCU Library Alliance's News Source! - https://hbculibraryalliance.wordpress.com/