FW: Passing of Mrs. Parham's mother

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Tue, Feb 14, 2017 7:17 PM

From: Black, Bettye R [mailto:brblack@langston.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2017 5:14 PM
To: Sandra Phoenix sphoenix@hbculibraries.org
Subject: RE: Passing of Mrs. Parham's mother

I met Mrs. Amanda Rudd in 1978 when I first worked at the Chicago Public Library.  A few years later I moved on and was sitting at the Reference Desk at the Brooklyn Public Library when Mrs. Rudd walked up to the Reference Desk to my amazement and said to me in her direct way "What are you doing here?  You need to come on back where you belong."  I was surprised that she remembered me and a few years later I did return to Chicago and worked with her again.  I always appreciated her direct way of approaching situations even while shaking in my boots.

During my second tenure at Chicago I met Loretta.  We both worked in the branches of CPL, had babies at the same time and both of us eventually moved on.  I lost contact with her for a few years - knew where she worked followed her career but didn't see her for a while.  One of my greatest joys working in the HBCU community has been reconnecting with Loretta.

Girl, I got my arms around you.  Tight.
[cid:image001.jpg@01D2860E.6716FE70]

Bettye Black / Director of Library Services / G. Lamar Harrison Library
Office: 405-466-3294 / Fax: 405-466-3459
brblack@langston.edumailto:brblack@langston.edu

Langston University 1-877-466-2231
P.O Box 1600, Hwy 33 East / Langston, OK 73050
www.langston.eduhttp://www.langston.edu

[cid:image002.jpg@01D2860E.6716FE70]https://www.facebook.com/langstonuniversity

[cid:image003.jpg@01D2860E.6716FE70]https://twitter.com/LangstonU