FW: Lincoln University Explores Agricultural Research and Exchange Opportunities on Cuba Mission

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Tue, Mar 17, 2015 12:14 PM

From: Young, Misty [mailto:YoungM@lincolnu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 11:16 AM
Subject: Lincoln University Explores Agricultural Research and Exchange Opportunities on Cuba Mission

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT MISTY YOUNG

(573) 681-6032

March 12, 2015

LINCOLN UNIVERSITY EXPLORES AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH AND EXCHANGE OPPORTUNITIES ON CUBA MISSION

Jefferson City, MO- A five-member delegation from Lincoln University has returned from a mission to Cuba laying the groundwork for possible agricultural research opportunities, as well as faculty and student exchange programs. Lincoln University, the state's only 1890 Land-grant University, was the only university included in the state-led delegation to Cuba following the announcement of U.S. plans to normalize diplomatic relations.

Lincoln University President Dr. Kevin D. Rome was joined by Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs Dr. Said Sewell; Interim Dean of the College of Agricultural and Natural Sciences Ms. Yvonne Matthews; Department Head for the Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Dr. John Yang; and Coordinator for International Student Services Mr. Duwon Clark on the four-day trip.  During the trade mission, Rome and members of the delegation met with government officials, including ministers who oversee issues related to trade, agriculture, economic development and education Rome says the delegation gathered good information during their visit, but there is still much work to be done.

"Our initial trip was informative, but there is still much to learn on both sides.  We look forward to future trips to make new connections.  Cuba offers a unique, untapped opportunity for our faculty and students, and Lincoln University will work to ensure we take full advantage of the possibilities that are coming available," says Rome.

Sewell echoed Rome's sentiments over the potential for expanded offerings from both sides.

"Partnerships such as these open new and exciting paths of learning and discovery for our faculty and students. The result will be a better understanding of the culture, economic, and political issues of a country that is so close to our border, as well as how our agricultural research could be of great value to the people of Cuba."
Other U.S. delegates included former U.S. Secretaries of Agriculture Mike Espy and John Block; Director of the Missouri Department of Agriculture Richard Fordyce; representatives of the Department of Economic Development, and leading members of the agriculture community. The meeting was attended by representatives of the Cuban government including the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Investment and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

ABOUT LINCOLN UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI: Lincoln University, located in Jefferson City, Missouri, was founded in 1866 by the enlisted men and officers of the 62nd and 65th Colored Infantries, following the close of the Civil War.  It is the only institution of higher learning founded by veterans, the only 1890 Land-grant institution in the state of Missouri, and is the nation's oldest 1890 Land-grant university.

Through the years, the university has been written into many success stories of its alumni, which include: Civil rights leader Lloyd Gaines'35; noted educator and first alumnus to serve as President of Lincoln University (retired) Dr. James Frank'53; Founder of Gates Bar-B-Q Ollie Gates'54;  business woman and philanthropist Ann Walton Kroenke'72; U.S. Congressman (Missouri) Blaine Luetkemeyer'74; entrepreneur Valerie Daniels-Carter '78; NFL professional and eight-time Pro-bowl selection Lemar Parrish '96; and Olympic medalist (track) Lorraine Graham-Fenton'99.

Attachments (2)

Lincoln University Delegation: Duwon Clark, Coordinator for International Student Services; Dr. Kevin D. Rome, President of Lincoln University; Jose Pardon, Minister of Foreign Investment and Economic Cooperation for Cuba; Yvonne Matthews, Interim Dean of the College of Agricultural and Natural Sciences; Dr. John Yang, Department Head for the Department of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences; and Dr. Said Sewell, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

Great Theater of Havana

Office of University Relations
303 Young Hall
573-681-5580