FW: media briefing UMES PR Office ~ 9-24-14

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Wed, Sep 24, 2014 1:50 PM

From: Beteck, Ellis B [mailto:ebbeteck@umes.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:44 AM
To: Sandra Phoenix
Subject: FW: media briefing UMES PR Office ~ 9-24-14

Hello Sandra,

I thought this news would be of interest.

http://www.umes.edu/PR/Article.aspx?id=49987

Ellis

CAVES VALLEY GOLF CLUB FOUNDATION ESTABLISHES GOLF MANAGEMENT SCHOLARSHIP at UNIVERSITY of MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE

New partnership will provide five-year, $100,000 scholarship for student in the only PGA Golf Management Program at a historically black college in the United States

The Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation announced today a unique partnership with the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) by establishing a scholarship to support the university's PGA Golf Management program.

UMES is one of 18 universities in the United States with a PGA-approved Golf Management program and the nation's lone historically black institution awarding a bachelor's degree in that discipline. The Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, Md., which has been selected as a host venue for numerous USGA, LPGA and NCAA events.

Demarkis J. Cooper is the inaugural Caves Valley Scholar, who enrolled this fall in the university's PGA Golf Management program. The Oxon Hill High School graduate was among Maryland's top prep golfers a year ago.

"As we move our program to the forefront of collegiate golf management programs," UMES President Juliette B. Bell said, "our goal is to recruit and enroll the highest caliber student who will represent our university with pride and respect traditions of the game."

The Caves Valley Foundation created the UMES scholarship to reward a deserving student-athlete with a minimum 3.5 high school grade point average, a USGA handicap of 12 or less, outstanding character, integrity and leadership qualities, and who demonstrates a financial need.  The recipient must continue meeting those criteria to remain eligible for the $100,000 scholarship through 4½ years of study.

"The mission and accomplishments of the UMES PGA Golf Management Association align perfectly with the Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation's dedication to improving the lives of young people through exposure to golf's customs, traditions and rules of fair play," said Gary Attman, the Foundation's board chair.

The scholarship will cover tuition, room, board, textbooks and other incidental costs for up to 5 years, including a structured internship program designed to provide the student with valuable field experience. Additionally, the Caves Valley Scholar will benefit from the advice and counsel of Caves Valley PGA professionals, staff and members.

The scholarship recipient will have an opportunity to intern at Caves Valley as an undergraduate and will be considered for a post-graduate apprenticeship at the golf club, giving the recipient an opportunity to build a network of professional men and women from around the world.

"We are proud to partner with UMES to expand the reach of the program to offer students of all backgrounds the opportunity to pursue a career in the game of golf," added Attman.

The Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation, Inc. was organized in 1994 for charitable and educational purposes to grant educational scholarships to caddies working at Caves Valley Golf Club. Sources of support for the fund included seed money from the Baltimore business community and donations from club members and their guests. In 2001, the Foundation expanded its mission to offer scholarships for caddies at other Baltimore-area golf clubs. Its work has continued to evolve with landmark support of the First Tee of Baltimore, and now this new partnership with UMES.

UMES launched its Golf Management curriculum in 2007 and since then every student who successfully completed the program had a job offer at graduation. The PGA Golf Management program is part of the university's Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management.

UMES Golf Management students take a broad spectrum of courses that prepare them for a variety of jobs in and around the sport. Graduates must complete four levels of the PGA Golf Management curriculum, 16 months of internship assignments and pass the PGA Playing Ability Test to qualify for membership in the PGA of America upon eligible employment.

"Given an opportunity," Bell said, "we believe young people who possess the talent and exhibit the values of fair play, integrity and leadership will excel in golf - and in life and inspire other young people to get involved in this great game. We are so very grateful that Caves Valley shares our vision."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information intended only for the use of the person named above and may contain communication protected by law. If you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message may be prohibited and you are requested to delete and destroy all copies of the email, and to notify the sender immediately at his/her electronic mail.

From: Beteck, Ellis B [mailto:ebbeteck@umes.edu] Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:44 AM To: Sandra Phoenix Subject: FW: media briefing UMES PR Office ~ 9-24-14 Hello Sandra, I thought this news would be of interest. http://www.umes.edu/PR/Article.aspx?id=49987 Ellis CAVES VALLEY GOLF CLUB FOUNDATION ESTABLISHES GOLF MANAGEMENT SCHOLARSHIP at UNIVERSITY of MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE New partnership will provide five-year, $100,000 scholarship for student in the only PGA Golf Management Program at a historically black college in the United States The Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation announced today a unique partnership with the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) by establishing a scholarship to support the university's PGA Golf Management program. UMES is one of 18 universities in the United States with a PGA-approved Golf Management program and the nation's lone historically black institution awarding a bachelor's degree in that discipline. The Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Caves Valley Golf Club in Owings Mills, Md., which has been selected as a host venue for numerous USGA, LPGA and NCAA events. Demarkis J. Cooper is the inaugural Caves Valley Scholar, who enrolled this fall in the university's PGA Golf Management program. The Oxon Hill High School graduate was among Maryland's top prep golfers a year ago. "As we move our program to the forefront of collegiate golf management programs," UMES President Juliette B. Bell said, "our goal is to recruit and enroll the highest caliber student who will represent our university with pride and respect traditions of the game." The Caves Valley Foundation created the UMES scholarship to reward a deserving student-athlete with a minimum 3.5 high school grade point average, a USGA handicap of 12 or less, outstanding character, integrity and leadership qualities, and who demonstrates a financial need. The recipient must continue meeting those criteria to remain eligible for the $100,000 scholarship through 4½ years of study. "The mission and accomplishments of the UMES PGA Golf Management Association align perfectly with the Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation's dedication to improving the lives of young people through exposure to golf's customs, traditions and rules of fair play," said Gary Attman, the Foundation's board chair. The scholarship will cover tuition, room, board, textbooks and other incidental costs for up to 5 years, including a structured internship program designed to provide the student with valuable field experience. Additionally, the Caves Valley Scholar will benefit from the advice and counsel of Caves Valley PGA professionals, staff and members. The scholarship recipient will have an opportunity to intern at Caves Valley as an undergraduate and will be considered for a post-graduate apprenticeship at the golf club, giving the recipient an opportunity to build a network of professional men and women from around the world. "We are proud to partner with UMES to expand the reach of the program to offer students of all backgrounds the opportunity to pursue a career in the game of golf," added Attman. The Caves Valley Golf Club Foundation, Inc. was organized in 1994 for charitable and educational purposes to grant educational scholarships to caddies working at Caves Valley Golf Club. Sources of support for the fund included seed money from the Baltimore business community and donations from club members and their guests. In 2001, the Foundation expanded its mission to offer scholarships for caddies at other Baltimore-area golf clubs. Its work has continued to evolve with landmark support of the First Tee of Baltimore, and now this new partnership with UMES. UMES launched its Golf Management curriculum in 2007 and since then every student who successfully completed the program had a job offer at graduation. The PGA Golf Management program is part of the university's Department of Hospitality and Tourism Management. UMES Golf Management students take a broad spectrum of courses that prepare them for a variety of jobs in and around the sport. Graduates must complete four levels of the PGA Golf Management curriculum, 16 months of internship assignments and pass the PGA Playing Ability Test to qualify for membership in the PGA of America upon eligible employment. "Given an opportunity," Bell said, "we believe young people who possess the talent and exhibit the values of fair play, integrity and leadership will excel in golf - and in life and inspire other young people to get involved in this great game. We are so very grateful that Caves Valley shares our vision." CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information intended only for the use of the person named above and may contain communication protected by law. If you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message may be prohibited and you are requested to delete and destroy all copies of the email, and to notify the sender immediately at his/her electronic mail.