FW: Retirement Announcement - Albritton - Prairie View A&M University

SP
Sandra Phoenix
Wed, Aug 31, 2016 1:22 PM

Greetings Colleagues,

I'm sharing this message announcing Rosie Albritton's retirement effective today from Prairie View A&M University (TX).  The HBCU Library Alliance is appreciative of Rosie's support and commitment. We wish her laughter, joy and happiness as she begins a new adventure.

We have contact information to remain connected!

Respectfully,

Sandra

From: Albritton,Rosie [mailto:rlalbritton@pvamu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:28 PM
To: Sandra Phoenix sphoenix@hbculibraries.org
Subject: Retirement Announcement - Albritton - Prairie View A&M University

Hello Sandra....

Hope all is well with you....As you see above, and may have already heard, over the past few days, I  am retiring, as of tomorrow, August 31, 2016, after serving as Director of Library Services and Professor of Educational Media & Technology, for the past 11 years here at Prairie View A&M  University (PVAMU)....As you may recall, I previously served as Dean and Professor of Library Science at Florida Memorial University (an UNCF school outside Miami) from 2000 to 2005, during the early founding years of the HBCU Library Alliance....Therefore, it is with much thought and great memories that I appreciate the opportunity to have reached this milestone, by serving as Library Dean/Director at "two" HBCU Institutions, and 52 years of service in the biological, behavioral, educational, and social sciences, since receiving my B.S. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology, from an HBCU,Tennessee State University, August 1964....(See attached career overview)

Sandra, at this point, I am now looking back at 33 years of experience in University Libraries, including 31 years as a Professional Librarian (MLS, 1985 - University of Michigan)....I served 2-years as a Library Technician, at Georgia State University Library, right there in downtown Atlanta, (1981-83) while my husband, at that time, was completing his Doctoral Studies at Atlanta University, while on a sabbatical leave from the Chicago Public Schools...In fact, I was actually "recruited" by the Administration, to consider a career in academic librarianship while at Georgia State, at a time when the University was finally ready to consider hiring Professional African-American Librarians, and offered me a chance to attend Emory as possibly their "first" ....However, we moved back to Chicago before I accepted their offer and finally realized that academic librarianship was my true career "calling"....Once I decide to accept the "challenge of making a mid-life-career change," I eventually completed the Ph.D. degree in Library and Information Science, at University of Illinois (1993)....

Over the years, I enjoyed serving in Library Administration, Library Education, and other leadership activities, such as the ALA Council, ACRL, Texas Library Association (TLA), other professional library and information science roles, and of course, the HBCU Library Alliance....I appreciate the support and cooperation provided by the "Alliance" and the Mellon Foundation, to the John B. Coleman Library at PVAMU, during my leadership and tenure, as the "longest serving" Library Director of the current  "main  library building" that was dedicated in 1988, as the John B. Coleman Library.

On a personal note, you may or may not know that I have not been quite at my full 100% over the past few months and away from campus from time to time on intermittent FMLA leave....I am happy to report that I am doing better at the moment, as I am trying to be a good patient and follow Doctor's orders :-)....Therefore, as you will see in the attached Announcement Letter, an Interim Administrator from the Provost Office, Dr. James A. Wilson, Jr., Associate Provost has been assigned to oversee library services and to assist my Senior Library Administrators, including Juanita Walker, M.L.S., Assistant Director for Public Services, (jcwalker@pvamu.edumailto:jcwalker@pvamu.edu), and Elizabeth (Jean) Brumfield, M.L.S., Distance Services Librarian (ejbrumfield@pvamu.edumailto:ejbrumfield@pvamu.edu).

However, since both Juanita and Jean are familiar with the activities of the "Alliance," attended membership meetings and will be actively involved with the "interim administrator" going forward, it would probably be appropriate at this time to include them in your regular "listserv" announcements, even though Dr. Wilson's name will more than likely be submitted next month for the updated "Alliance" roster....I know that Jean has already registered to attend the meeting in October, and Juanita may also be available.  As I recall, our 2016-17 membership dues for the "Alliance" are already current.

Finally, I must say that I have enjoyed our collegial and consortia relationship as a member of the HBCU Library Alliance....I wish you, the Executive Board, and All Members of the "Alliance" the best in your future endeavors....Thanks again for your assistance and support....

Sincerely, Rosie

Greetings Colleagues, I'm sharing this message announcing Rosie Albritton's retirement effective today from Prairie View A&M University (TX). The HBCU Library Alliance is appreciative of Rosie's support and commitment. We wish her laughter, joy and happiness as she begins a new adventure. We have contact information to remain connected! Respectfully, Sandra From: Albritton,Rosie [mailto:rlalbritton@pvamu.edu] Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:28 PM To: Sandra Phoenix <sphoenix@hbculibraries.org> Subject: Retirement Announcement - Albritton - Prairie View A&M University Importance: High Hello Sandra.... Hope all is well with you....As you see above, and may have already heard, over the past few days, I am retiring, as of tomorrow, August 31, 2016, after serving as Director of Library Services and Professor of Educational Media & Technology, for the past 11 years here at Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU)....As you may recall, I previously served as Dean and Professor of Library Science at Florida Memorial University (an UNCF school outside Miami) from 2000 to 2005, during the early founding years of the HBCU Library Alliance....Therefore, it is with much thought and great memories that I appreciate the opportunity to have reached this milestone, by serving as Library Dean/Director at "two" HBCU Institutions, and 52 years of service in the biological, behavioral, educational, and social sciences, since receiving my B.S. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology, from an HBCU,Tennessee State University, August 1964....(See attached career overview) Sandra, at this point, I am now looking back at 33 years of experience in University Libraries, including 31 years as a Professional Librarian (MLS, 1985 - University of Michigan)....I served 2-years as a Library Technician, at Georgia State University Library, right there in downtown Atlanta, (1981-83) while my husband, at that time, was completing his Doctoral Studies at Atlanta University, while on a sabbatical leave from the Chicago Public Schools...In fact, I was actually "recruited" by the Administration, to consider a career in academic librarianship while at Georgia State, at a time when the University was finally ready to consider hiring Professional African-American Librarians, and offered me a chance to attend Emory as possibly their "first" ....However, we moved back to Chicago before I accepted their offer and finally realized that academic librarianship was my true career "calling"....Once I decide to accept the "challenge of making a mid-life-career change," I eventually completed the Ph.D. degree in Library and Information Science, at University of Illinois (1993).... Over the years, I enjoyed serving in Library Administration, Library Education, and other leadership activities, such as the ALA Council, ACRL, Texas Library Association (TLA), other professional library and information science roles, and of course, the HBCU Library Alliance....I appreciate the support and cooperation provided by the "Alliance" and the Mellon Foundation, to the John B. Coleman Library at PVAMU, during my leadership and tenure, as the "longest serving" Library Director of the current "main library building" that was dedicated in 1988, as the John B. Coleman Library. On a personal note, you may or may not know that I have not been quite at my full 100% over the past few months and away from campus from time to time on intermittent FMLA leave....I am happy to report that I am doing better at the moment, as I am trying to be a good patient and follow Doctor's orders :-)....Therefore, as you will see in the attached Announcement Letter, an Interim Administrator from the Provost Office, Dr. James A. Wilson, Jr., Associate Provost has been assigned to oversee library services and to assist my Senior Library Administrators, including Juanita Walker, M.L.S., Assistant Director for Public Services, (jcwalker@pvamu.edu<mailto:jcwalker@pvamu.edu>), and Elizabeth (Jean) Brumfield, M.L.S., Distance Services Librarian (ejbrumfield@pvamu.edu<mailto:ejbrumfield@pvamu.edu>). However, since both Juanita and Jean are familiar with the activities of the "Alliance," attended membership meetings and will be actively involved with the "interim administrator" going forward, it would probably be appropriate at this time to include them in your regular "listserv" announcements, even though Dr. Wilson's name will more than likely be submitted next month for the updated "Alliance" roster....I know that Jean has already registered to attend the meeting in October, and Juanita may also be available. As I recall, our 2016-17 membership dues for the "Alliance" are already current. Finally, I must say that I have enjoyed our collegial and consortia relationship as a member of the HBCU Library Alliance....I wish you, the Executive Board, and All Members of the "Alliance" the best in your future endeavors....Thanks again for your assistance and support.... Sincerely, Rosie